What do you do when greenhouse owners don't care about HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

sunnydee

What do you do when greenhouse owners don't care about HVX?

Post by sunnydee »

How completely discouraging!
Went to a local greenhouse/landscaping business today and thought I'd take a look at the hosta. Just out of curiosity.:eek: :eek: :eek: They were scary, many were almost impossible to identify because they were so messed up with what I am sure was HVX. Some of the plants looked like poster children for the virus. I asked the people if they had ever heard of hosta virus x and they said no what is it so I tried as best I could to describe it and how awful it is, that it has the capacity to destroy an infinite amount of hosta. Then I directed them to the forum and told them it has such a wealth of information and that there is educational material they can get as well. They looked at me like I was from another planet and said they didn't have time to look into it now, too busy. Even though I was the only person there. :roll: Guess they just lost my business. So Chris, how much to ship to Iowa? :D Think I'll be directing everyone I know to you!
Atleast I tried. :cry: Hope the rest of you have better luck trying to spread the word about HVX than I did.

Happy Gardening :)
A somewhat discouraged,
Not so sunny,
Sunnydee
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Sunnydee,

If you really get that kind of response from a nursery then call your state department of agriculture. Tell them that this nursery/landscape company was selling horribly infected hostas with HVX and that you told them and they didn't care. Hopefully the Iowa Dept. of Agriculture will pay them a little visit. I know our inspectors here in Michigan are very busy but they will make the effort to visit a nursery if a complaint is made.

And the shipping to any of the 51 states that we sell plants to is just $8.95 no matter the size of the order :D

Good luck!

Chris
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:lol: Talking to numbs here for 2 years.. some are starting to listen now :lol: :wink:

Hate to say it, but you have a source I do not have: Tell them you will give them a big minus in the Gardenwatchdog ( you know most gardeners look at their website frequently :wink: ).
I am in big troubles when I have to treathen people, but as my big son say: Against stupidity even the goddess are powerless... so if you have to, go frighten them

They only try to protect them self...selling sick plants to innocent people :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply