Bridegroom with HVX??

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

Bridegroom with HVX??

Post by renaldo75 »

I've never heard of anyone else having Bridegroom with HVX, but admittedly I haven't read all of the posts on this forum so I don't know.

I've had Bridegroom since the spring of 2002. I know where I got it & I know who they were getting their plants from. In fact I was just down to the suppliers' retail business over the weekend & she was still selling little Bridegrooms that look just fine.

Mine looked fine too until the spring of 2005. It didn't get damaged by frost as many near it did, but it developed this splotchy spotting after the cold weather. So I was concerned but thought it might very well be weather related. I discussed it with Chris last year when I saw him & he agreed that it might just be a weather-related problem.

But this year Bridegroom unfurled looking just like it had last year. The virus takes different forms in different hostas, but I don't recall seeing every leaf looking exactly the same.....

More than likely I will just dispose of it, because even if it doesn't have HVX, I don't find this look attractive at all. And I really do like the unique leaf & plant form of Bridgroom so I will replace it with one from Hallson's.

But I'm still curious about what would suddenly cause an entire plant to change to this & remain that way if it's not HVX. And other than the coloring it appears to be totally healthy.

The only thing that has ever happened to it is that it tends to go dormant very early [August] if it doesn't get enough water. It did that when it was still in the pot in 2002, and again in 2003 when it was in this spot in the ground.

Thanks, Reldon
Attachments
2006 - 5-13-06 bgleaf2b.jpg
2006 - 5-13-06 bgleaf2b.jpg (49.15 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
2006 - 5-13-06 bgleaf1b.jpg
2006 - 5-13-06 bgleaf1b.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
2006 - 5-13-06 bridegroomb.jpg
2006 - 5-13-06 bridegroomb.jpg (58.13 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Ewwww....I can see why you're concerned! I have Bridegroom also, but mine is younger than yours. I know some hostas are supposed to have a mottled appearance, but I don't think I've ever heard that Bridegroom is one of them. I'll be looking forward to hearing what Chris and the others say about this one and I'll be sure to keep an eye out on my Bridegroom also. (I'll have to check and see where I got it from too.) :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

I'm of no help here Reldon but do see your concern. To me it doesn't look very reassuring :( . Such a lovely clump of it too. Can't wait for some expertise to chime in on this one.
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

On Bridegroom :eek:

Look sick indeed. Do not know if other thing than HVX can do those spottings. Have you tried to cut a leaf and hold it up against the light... can you see a zig zagging along the veins :-?

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

So sorry, but yes, that looks like HVX. There are a ton of random reports from gardens this year. We are starting to learn that yes, it really can spread in the garden, a bit too easily :(
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for the confirmation, Chris. I have never done anything to this one, but plant it in late fall of 2002. It's been in the same spot ever since. When I was moving other hostas near it last year I made sure I was digging them from the side farthest away from Bridegroom just so I didn't take a chance of cutting through a root by accident. I'll get it gone in the next few days.

Thanks for your concern, Joan, Rachel & Pia. :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply