Squash Casserole waiting to be burned at the stake

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

hostachic

Squash Casserole waiting to be burned at the stake

Post by hostachic »

I purchased Squash Casserole in 2002 from a very reputable midwest nursery, carried it home on my lap on a vacation trip, watering it every night, etc (you've all been there). Last spring it had some warts on the leaves and the color was a funky mottled green; just not the beautiful gold it had been before. I decided to wait and see if it was just the cold spring of 2005 that caused the condition, but I knew in my heart that wasn't the case. This spring, the leaves were even worse and it is now waiting to be burned. What a bummer! I wish the pictures were clearer -- this is my first time ever to post a picture.
Attachments
Virused Squash Casserole0002.JPG
Virused Squash Casserole0002.JPG (33.5 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Squash Casserole
Squash Casserole
Virused Squash Casserole0001.JPG (31.66 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi hostachic,

Any chance of getting a closeup of one of the leaves, or is it too late for that? It is really hard to see, but is that darker green along the veins? It really does look like a mess, though :(

Do you think you accidentally spread the virus to this plant? It seems that a lot of gardeners are finding new cases of HVX that they've accidentally spread around before they knew more about it :(

Sorry.

Chris
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

How sad looking. So sorry your hosta is doing poorly. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply