How do they test for the Virus!

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Hey_J

How do they test for the Virus!

Post by Hey_J »

Chris, can you explain how a hosta is "tested" for the virus?

Yesterday, I made a second visit to a local, (thougt to be "reputable")nursery in our area ! The day before I had spotted several of their "Striptease", "Golden Tiaras", "Stilleto's","So Sweets", and another, I can't remember the name of, that looked mighty suspicious to me. When I asked about their awareness of the HVX going around, I was met with a rather defensive response!

I did point out the ones that didn't look right to a "worker" and she had to agree they were not right and said she'd tell the manager (who had left) about them and that they'd be removed.

We returned the following day to look at Japanese Maples and I brought the Hosta Library print-outs (and some of your information) hoping to be "helpful"! I noticed the plants in question were still out, and handed off the material to another worker to be passed along and awhile later, (apparently, my presence was being discussed) the manager sought me out, asking if I was the "hosta lady"! I laughed and said, "Well, I do like to buy hosta, if that is what you mean?"

She began defending the nursery, and their "hosta" person who is responsible for ordering them in and making sure of their quality (she seemed abit "defensive" in posture and tone--I guess understandably--but made me more suspicious) assuring me they are "on top of " the virus and that they only buy certified plants from certified suppliers from Holland and Michigan and that they always remove any "suspicious" plants for sale! And, that they are constantly "testing" for the virus via tc's, assuring me I can buy from them with confidence (despite what I know is on their tables)!

She also told me that there are many kinds of things out there right now that is causing them to look somewhat strange that is not the X Virus, and that really the problem has sprung from hybridizers' attempts to keep coming up with unusual looking hosta! And-- that does sound reasonable to me in some ways! But would anyone intentionally introduce a "virus" to get a different look?

I then asked if the manager would accompany me back to the tables of the ones I was concerned about and explain what else could be the problem that had me "concerned" and I was told that "no, she was really on her way out"!

I also shared with them that my "Montana Aureomarginata" I had purchased from them, summer before last was definitely virused and brought in the leaf as well! I was told, (several times) that they are in close contact with Dr. Lockhart and really know what they are doing!!! I had also been informed the day before that they do not guarantee their perennials but I wanted them to see the leaf and know I wasn't just trying to make trouble for them, as I assured her I was not, but that I know EVERYONE is a victim with this malady and how I know it has to be very dfficult tfor them to deal with it!

I still felt that my voiced concerns, no matter how kindly I tried to put things, was not really appreciated!

I went to their other location today, across town, and their "Golden Tiara's" and their "Stilleto's" looked awful as well. The Striptease looked okay, thus far, but I picked up one at another nursery a couple of weeks ago, that looked fine, but within 10 days it is definitely exhibiting the "dark green bleeding" along the veins!

So--just how are hosta "tested" for the virus, please??
Janice
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Can't explain the Elisa Method... but in a case like thie one you described.. I would tell them: I am a Garden Watchdog member... and do a notise on them....
My biggest problem here is to let them understand they have to cull all the nice looking plants in the batch, so if they do not listen to serious argues and visual spots... cut them :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Here's a quotation from the the HostaLibrary info:
"If they want to get plants tested, they must be sure to ask specifically if the lab has the ELISA kit to test for HVX."

ELISA = enzyme-linked immumosorbent assay

I not sure about the specific sample preparation technique, though. Presumably a portion of the (fresh) leaf or petiole is ground up with a buffer solution and the resulting solution is tested. The test measures the response of a monoclonal antibody that is particular to the virus. For most ELISA tests, a separate reagent is then added that gives a color response that can be compared to a negative (blank) test. I believe the test for HVX is more inclined to give false negatives than it is false positives.

For most virus assays, a more accurate follow-up test (such as a Western blot) is possible.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Sounds like your 'reputable' nursery is not very interested in being on top of the situation. I'd gather up all the info I had & call & request a meeting with the manager. Don't let them tell you he/she is too busy or 'on the way out'.

I got ticked off just reading what you wrote about their response to you trying to make them understand a serious problem. It's pretty obvious that they aren't interested in what you are trying to tell them.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I sort of felt the same way as you , Ren, when reading the account. I do understand them becoming defensive. It might be a huge loss financially to them to have to destroy all their infected hostas and then worry about whether the others are infected, but darn it!.....there's no way you can excuse a nursery who ignores this and tries to make the customer feel that way for bringing it up out of concern.

My suggestion would be to contact the .....what is it called...the State Agriculture Board??? You all know what I mean.....whatever state agency that is in charge of nursery inspections. Report the nursery and see if someone official will come in and do something about it.

I'm beginning to think that pretty soon I might have to limit all my hosta purchases to Hallson's alone and avoid my favorite local haunts. That way at least I can be assured that I will be getting healthy plants from trustworthy and caring people.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I agree, you could report them to your state's agriculture department and they might send an inspector out. Problem is, a lot of inspectors don't even know what to look for :(

And Joan, when visiting those local hosta haunts just take a minute to ask the owners about HVX and if they are watching for it - or ask if they are buying imports or even if they know anything at all about HVX. Also walk around and check things out. If you don't find any HVX infected plants on the shelves then they might already be doing a good job of keeping it out.

I think as more and more nurseries find out about it (usually the hard way, just like us) then things will improve. We will keep watching and testing our stock to try and stay on top of it here. So far so good this year. Hopefully it will stay that way :)

Good luck with that nursery Janice!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

You know Chris....I asked at one nursery that was down near the college that my DD attended and was very pleasantly surprised when the owner/manager seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and was making all their employees take precautions when dealing with their stock. I bought several hostas from them that day. :) I would like to make it back down there this summer.

Pandora and I spotted some hostas (Gold Standards) that were suspect when we met for lunch and a quick shopping excursion. I have emailed that nursery and asked them about it, but have gotten no response yet. I'll have to stop back in there soon (again....as soon as the weather improves :roll: ) to see if the hostas are still out on the shelves and talk to the owner or the manager about it. We just didn't have time the day we were there. It's one of my favorite places to browse, but if they were to treat my concerns like Hey_J's were treated I probably would let the owner know that I would not be doing any of my shopping there in the future.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply