HVX warning on Hosta 'Abby'

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

HVX warning on Hosta 'Abby'

Post by Chris_W »

I've seen enough pictures of HVX in Hosta 'Abby' now that I think it is possible that a large number of these plants were sold with HVX in 2005 and possibly this season. It showed up in a catalog from a grower in Holland as new for 2005 and is listed again for 2006, and they have been known to have imported a lot of infected plants starting at least in 2003 and getting worse every year.

So if you have purchased Hosta 'Abby' last year or this year take a very close look for Hosta Virus X symptoms. It appears in this plant as darker patches blending/bleeding into the pale margin and strange lighter patches blending into the darker portions. The leaf may also have a dull finish and may have some odd textures as well.

Thanks to Jen for sharing this picture.
Attachments
Virus infected Hosta 'Abby'
Virus infected Hosta 'Abby'
abbyhvxWEB.jpg (51.47 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Well....darn. There's another one for me to start worrying about. I got Abby in 2004. Now I have to check and see where I have it planted. If it every stops raining here I can go outside and check on it. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Joan,

If you got it in 2004 then it was most likely a domestic grown plant. The first imports I could find came in 2005 and as with most HVX plants (but not all) the virus seems to be in the imports. Check it out carefully but it should have shown it by now if it was a problem.

Take care,

Chris
New Topic Post Reply