How long to wait before planting in Virus area?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Hey_J

How long to wait before planting in Virus area?

Post by Hey_J »

I have finally given up hope and removed my
X-virused Montana Aureomarginata--it was
quite large. It was planted in a whiskey barrel
with some Painted ferns.

So how long is it safe to wait before replanting
the barrel and are the ferns also infected now?

Also, is the soil considered a carrier of the virus
now or just the roots and any fresh sap?

Does the virus live on the rocks I had around
the hosta as well?

So many questions, I know---but I'm trying to
be "informed"!

Thank you in advance for all the helpful information
about this virus and how it contaminates!
Janice
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm sure Chris will pop on here when he can and answer all your questions, but my understanding is that the virus only lives in the plant material. So after removing the plant you can replant in the same location after a week or so. That gives any plant material left behind a chance to completely die off. Is that right , Chris?
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Hey_J

Post by Hey_J »

So, it may be only contagious as a "fresh" sap excretion,
right or do they really know?

I'm wondering, if I had tools that I had used, say in planting one,
that may show up later to be virused, and that tool had been used
in October and stored over-winter, would it only be a contaminant
while the sap is fresh??
Janice
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, the virus will only be in living hosta tissue. It won't be in the soil or on anything else around it or on anything the plant was touching. Just like the virus can't spread from two leaves just touching each other, or from roots just touching each other (as far as we know).

HVX seems to be pretty specific to just hostas. There is no evidence that it will spread to other plants like ferns. Dr. Lockhart has attempted in past research to spread HVX to other genera that might grow in gardens with hostas and he reported that the only other plant he has been able to infect with HVX was a variety of tobacco plant, but that is not usually grown with hostas.

The roots take a very long time to completely die (months) but again, Dr. Lockhart says that as soon as the crown is gone the sap is no longer running in the roots so the cells start to die and so does the virus after a few weeks. Since this was in a container I would just get out as much of the old roots as possible and then plant a new plant. As long as the new roots aren't touching the old, and as long as the new roots aren't cut or broken (almost impossible if you are moving a plant though) then it should not be a problem. Someone mentioned lining the bottom with a layer of newspaper and I think that is a great idea. As the paper breaks down so will the old roots below, and this way you won't cut into those old roots so easily while planting.

Dr. Lockhart also told me that the virus is highly stable outside the plant so that cells could remain on tools for a few weeks, under ideal conditions. A tool from last season would not have any living virus cells. In reality a shovel would probably have some of the plant sap scraped off by dirt after a few times digging, but it isn't worth the chance to not clean it. If you dig an infected plant and then dig another plant soon after then there is a pretty good chance that some sap is still on the shovel and may transfer over. Even more sap can get onto pruners when cutting scapes, and it only gets scraped off when you go to cut the next hosta!

I hope that helps to answer your questions:

Virus is only in living tissue.
It should not transfer over to other plants like ferns.
Virus will not be in soil or on rocks.
Wait a few weeks to replant a spot where a virused hosta was growing; you could line the hole with newspaper as a bit of a safeguard.
The virus could survive for up to 3 weeks on tools so be sure to clean tools often.

Anything else? ;)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Good info, Chris....as always. I like that idea about lining the hole with newspaper when replanting. I think I'll give that a try.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Hey_J

Post by Hey_J »

Whew---I think I can live with that!! I've been "holding my breath",
frozen in immobility--waiting for enough information to make decisions
about what to do! LOL

I will go "forth" and "plant" and "enjoy" what is "given" and do my utmost,
within reason, to "maintain"! LOL I just need to "know" what is "reasonable"!

Thank you, again, for a very clearly defined answer to my many questions!! :D
Janice
New Topic Post Reply