Is this HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Quiet Storm

Is this HVX?

Post by Quiet Storm »

I found this H. Honeybells at Lowe's in Dedham, MA this afternoon. This was the worst looking of the bunch, but most of the Honeybells appeared to be infected with something. I alerted the manager immediately, and he said he would remove the infected plants, but made no move to do so while I was still in the store. My question, does this look like HVX?
Attachments
Does this look like HVX?
Does this look like HVX?
isthisHVX.jpg (49.69 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Not sure what is causing that, so I'll leave the opinions to the experts. :lol:
I was surprised when I went to a new Lowe's the other day. I looked over the plants in their garden center and surprisingly they all looked pretty good! No obvious signs of HVX. But I still didn't buy anything from them, because I still don't trust the big box stores. :evil:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Those larger spots don't really look like HVX, but they certainly could be another virus. However I think I also see HVX symptoms on some of the other leaves.

Might be a double dose of virus on those. Hopefully the manager took you seriously!
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

Thanks Chris. Here is another photo of the same batch of hostas. Can you tell from this photo?
Attachments
More Honeybells  -- HVX?
More Honeybells -- HVX?
isthisHVX_00.jpg (50.84 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
Gloria

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, that looks like HVX. I don't see any of those larger spots on this one, but those dull looking leaves are a pretty sure sign of HVX.

Now how did you sneak a camera into Lowe's? Inquiring minds want to know :-?
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

Hi Chris,

I didn't have to sneak the camera in. I had it with me quite by accident, and after the manager brushed me off, I decided to take a few photos so I could get your assessment. The hosta display was near the front of the gardening section, and I just stood there and snapped away. No one said anything, so I figured it was o.k. I was in the store for another 15 minutes after I told the manager about the infected hostas, and he never came over to look at them.
Gloria

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Gee....even if I didn't suspect HVX in those, I still can't imagine people buying those. They just plain look sick...faded and droopy...and not just from lack of watering.

If they don't remove those from the shelves, why don't you send a couple of your pics to the store's home office with your complaint. It's not like the home office doesn't know about the current HVX problem. They were contacted by many last year. :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Quiet Storm

Follow up

Post by Quiet Storm »

Just wanted to follow up on the infected hostas at Lowe's. I contacted Lowe's corporate office by phone a few days after the incident and filed an incident report. They said they would look into it and that someone from the store in question would get back to me within 24 hours. Two days later I got a very terse call from the garden center manager informing me that the infected hostas had been removed and a new shipment was being sent. I took a look at the hosta display a week or so ago, and none showed obvious signs of infection, but I still chose not to buy.
Gloria

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Great :D

Lowes have to be very tired of Hallson members :wink: they have been controlled for 2 plus years and now they listen :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply