Tell me it isn't so

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Robin
USDA Zone: 7b

Tell me it isn't so

Post by Robin »

I think I know the answeer, but not ready to throw in the towel just yet... What do you think?

With the expection of Aug. Moon, I've had these plants for years, and none have ever been wacked. This is the first time any of them looked like this!
Attachments
3.jpg
1b.jpg
1b.jpg (52.1 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (57.65 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Robin

Post by Robin »

another one
Attachments
2b.jpg
2b.jpg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
2.jpg
Robin

Post by Robin »

yet another one .. Please tell me it isn't so!
Attachments
4b.jpg
4b.jpg (40.82 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
4.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Robin,

Do you know what these plants are? If the middle one is August Moon I say that one probably is HVX. But I can't tell if that is streaking or virus on the others without a closer look.

Although you didn't whack them, were they moved with you to Arkansas? If you dug them the virus could have been on your shovel. Or maybe the scapes or leaves were cut or trimmed at some time (summer or fall cleanup)? It could even be possible that if someone stepped on an infected one and then stepped on another one that could have moved it on their shoe, for example

But go ahead and send me some leaves off them. Put them in ziploc bags with no excess moisture, individually labeled by variety, and send them to my PO Box:

Hallson Gardens
PO Box 220
Brooklyn, MI 49230
Robin

Post by Robin »

Figure between the week-end and holiday, I'll wait until Tue. to mail.

The kids are Guacamole and either Fried Bananas or Squash Casserole (need to check map).

However I just looked at some pictures of Guacamole on the Hosta Library and I'm feeling much better! Still want to make sure, but just maybe my little baby just hit maturity.

After digging out most of the weeds and vines and giving everyone a good look, about 6 plants look questionable.

If I do have it, you may have it on the cause.

If you remember back in 2004 I posted that King Tut was looking a bit strange. I sent off a leaf, but never heard back. Then left for my extended trip. King Tut still looks odd, and was also moved from Ohio. As matter of fact he was living only feet from the plants that now look strange, it would make since that I would have dug them up back to back.

Also all questionable plants (including King Tut) are on the edge next to the walking path... hubby would never fess up, but it he ran the weed eater last year I wouldn't have put it past him to have nailed a few hostas. I found two of my copper tags severally damaged, and it wasn't from nature. :evil:
New Topic Post Reply