Does the virus occur in other species of plants?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Ponditis

virus question

Post by Ponditis »

Does this virus occur in other species of plants that you are aware of at this time?

I would hate to introduce into my garden other plants that may harbor it

TIA
The best is yet to be.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

According to Dr. Lockhart the virus is very specific to hostas. He has attempted to infect other garden plants with no success. Apparently the only plant he was able to infect, other than a hosta, was a type of tobacco plant. I don't know what kind.

Still, it is important to never keep an infected plant. Since he didn't test every possible plant out there we really don't know if it could possibly move to something else at some point in time.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Ponditis

virus question

Post by Ponditis »

Thanks for that answer so quickly. I had read somewhere that they have found it in another plant and was wondering if that was true. Now I have the answer to that.

I would never keep an infected plant and have no signs of it yet in my garden as yet. I have always been very careful and never plant the same species in an area that I have just removed a sick plant nor even removed a well plant. Yesterday I moved a hosta and planted an astilbe in its place.

Thanks again.
Lani
The best is yet to be.
New Topic Post Reply