Scooter looking strange.....

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Scooter looking strange.....

Post by caliloo »

I'm not sure if this is HVX just beginning to show in this Scooter... but the new growth looks very odd to me....

THoughts?

TIA
Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I would agree with you, Alexa, that it certainly does look odd.....it just doesn't look healthy. I would go out and look at my Scooter, but it disappeared altogether this year! I'll check this post later to see if Chris thinks it's HVX. I hope hope not, but that would be my guess. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Alexa,

I hate to say it, but I've been seeing more and more reports of infected Scooters out there this year, plus we had one that tested positive last year, so it appears that this one can catch it easily and some infected batches have been sold wholesale.

Just this morning I checked on the plants left from last year and sure enough, they have an odd, dull look to them that is typical of HVX in some plants so they will be destroyed. We already contacted everyone who bought Scooter last year but now I will try to pull up all the old records of everyone that bought it in the past, to let them know to check just in case.

I'll try to get a closeup picture of it, but with all the reports I am sure there are infected batches of it, and they are commonly imported from Holland, too, so I believe there are a lot of bad plants of it out there.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Oh crud. I was afraid of that. :( :( :(

What makes it worse is it was a gift from another hosta friend. I hate to sound ungrateful but I think I need to tell her because I know she got one for herself too..... :(

Thanks Chris, I am definitely going to get rid of it.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply