this one has HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Dee_dla
USDA Zone: 4b

this one has HVX?

Post by Dee_dla »

Was visiting my Mom today and found this hosta. I am quite sure it is virused but Mom would like your confirmation, Chris.

There is a picture of the plant as well as a close-up of a leaf. Mom says she bought it that way at a local nursery last year. She now has this forum bookmarked and will be looking in for your thoughts and learning more about HVX.

Thanks!

ImageImage
Dee
Dee's Hosta List

"The poetry of the earth is never dead." ~John Keats
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Dee,

Yes, that is definitely Hosta Virus X. It is easy to see it on a gold centered hosta like this one. That's probably Hosta 'Gold Standard', one of the plants with a very high rate of infection on the market in the past few years.

Be sure to throw it away and tell your Mom to clean her shovel good after digging it up. Since it was just planted last year it shouldn't have too many roots to get rid of.

If you or your Mom ever get back to that nursery you might try to let them know, or if they are close by maybe take the diseased plant back to them and see if they will give the money back. At least you will be able to tell them the problem.

Good luck!

Chris
Dee_dla
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Dee_dla »

Thank you, Chris!

I've emailed Mom and am sure she will be looking in at your response. Will let you know what she chooses to do. She just may be bringing it back to them. Luckily, there are no others right next to it to worry about when removing.

It was difficult for me to ID what is was supposed to be. I am getting better at it though. :lol: Thanks again!
Dee
Dee's Hosta List

"The poetry of the earth is never dead." ~John Keats
New Topic Post Reply