Suspect HVX Pics

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

TrawlerJohn

Suspect HVX Pics

Post by TrawlerJohn »

Chris,

Attached are two jpgs of Afternoon Delight which I have concerns about. Please take a look and tell me if I need to send leaves in to you for further testing.
Thanks for a great service,

John
Attachments
AfternoonDelight02.jpg
afternoondelight01.jpg
John
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi John,

The look you are seeing is not a virus. This is usually a nutrient deficiency from cool weather, low soil pH, or a nutrient imbalance in the soil. You also see it often on young plants that haven't established a good root system yet. If it has been cool and rainy then this can slow the transfer of nutrients from the roots to the leaves and you get a lighter color between the veins.

Also, is this guy being crowded out by other things? They might be choking out the hosta a little bit too.

A little fertilizer boost might help, but it may also grow out of it.

So not to worry, this is a pretty normal look actually :)

Hope that helps,

Chris
TrawlerJohn

Post by TrawlerJohn »

Thanks Chris, I was afraid I was going to have to lose one I'm looking forward to seeing at maturity.

I will acidify the soil with some Epsom salt tomorrow and toss in a little fertilizer. I know that she is planted in area where I have had a ph problem cause there is a Gardenia nearby with green veins and lighter green surfaces. Been wrestling with the problem for a couple of years using Epsom salts but have had small success.

May have to ultimately move the hosta.

Also, since I am new on this Forum, I would like to make a donation to help costs. How do I do this, and what is an appropriate amount?

Again, Thanks,
John
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

John....glad your hosta is not infected with HVX. That's always good news to hear. :D

As far as donations to the forum goes, the amount to give is totally up to you. Every bit counts. If you scroll up to the top of the page you'll find a link to click on titled "forum donations". :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Hi Trawler John! Welcome!

I don’t think epsom salts will acidify the soil much. You might want to add peat moss and/or pine needles, or there is some sort of chemical you can add. Forget what it is called, but they use it for azaleas, blueberries and such. I think MiracleGrow makes a fertilizer/acidifier specifically for this, MirAcid? Something like that.

wanda
TrawlerJohn

Post by TrawlerJohn »

Joan, that is quite a list of hostas you have!!!! Wow! At this point I have only 40, but the grassy areas of the lawn are begining to look good to me!

Wanda, thanks for the advice, will look for the MirAcid, or what ever.

John
John
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

:lol: Who needs all that grass, John? :lol: It seems every year I find another spot for a new bed or a place to expand another bed. We do have a good sized yard , so there is still plenty of grass to mow. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply