Infected Hosta 'Veronica Lake'

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Infected Hosta 'Veronica Lake'

Post by Chris_W »

This is a group of plants purchased from Darwin Plants in 2005. Although I had leaves from this batch tested in late summer 2005 and they tested negative by ELISA, that was probably a case of the virus being at too low of a concentration to test positive. This spring there are several plants in the batch showing symptoms so I'm certain they were infected all along. We did not sell any of the plants, even though they were nice sized, because they were purchased from Holland and Darwin Plants has the worst reputation for sending infected plants.

This is the first time where I've seen HVX show up as bright, bleached markings along the veins. These plants are growing in deep shade so this is not sun bleaching.
Attachments
This pictures shows a bit of white bleeding, distortion, and shows one plant with a lot of infection ane a small leaf on the next plant with only a little.
This pictures shows a bit of white bleeding, distortion, and shows one plant with a lot of infection ane a small leaf on the next plant with only a little.
This leaf is showing a lot of markings.
This leaf is showing a lot of markings.
Now the virus is getting a little more pronounced.  Note how it is even showing on the margin.
Now the virus is getting a little more pronounced. Note how it is even showing on the margin.
This is what the very early stages of symptoms looks like.
This is what the very early stages of symptoms looks like.
veronicalake5.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Man, it's scarier by the post! So dark green ones might be more apt to show this type of symptom hm? Will they give you a refund on these, or anything to compensate after all this time?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
mooie

Post by mooie »

Chris,

I would like you to develop a emoticon with it's eyes covered up please??

Mooie
~Imagine~
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Great visuals, Chris. Thanks for educating us and another lesson.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
New Topic Post Reply