Does this hosta have the virus?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

shasta13

Does this hosta have the virus?

Post by shasta13 »

I just found out about the Hosta Virus X yesterday. I grew this Sum and Substance hosta from a bare root. I have never been happy with its leaves and I think it may have the virus. What do you think?

This is an amazing site, Shasta.
Attachments
Sum and Substance.JPG
Sum and Substance.JPG (53.54 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Shasta,

Yes, this hosta definitely has the virus. You will want to dig it up and throw it away. I set them out in the sun to dry out and then when they are lighter I'll put them in thick black garbage bags and throw them out with the trash. Other people like to burn them. Either way you really do want to get rid of it and make sure you are careful not to cut into the roots of surrounding hostas and then clean your shovel really good when you are done.

There is a lot of information on the forum but if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Chris
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm so sorry to see your beautiful S&S infected with HVX like that! What a shame. :(
Glad you found this forum and Chris was able to confirm your suspicions for you though. Welcome to Hallson's. I'll throw out a Welcome post for you on our Welcome forum.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
shasta13

Post by shasta13 »

Chris W. Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I was sorry to find out the cause of my hosta's problem. It's now dug up and ready for the garbage.

Joan thank you for your warm welcome and condolences.

I had three pictures I wanted to post but I could only send one. I would like your opinion on my other Sum and Substance. It was grown at the same time, from a separate bare root plant, as my infected one. I'm afraid it also has the virus as there seems to be some bleeding from the veins.

Thanks in advance, Shasta.
Attachments
Sum&Substance.jpg
Sum&Substance.jpg (44.8 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
shasta13

Post by shasta13 »

This is the third hosta that I'm worried about. It's an Aureo-marginata. I would be grateful for any opinions on whether or not it has the virus. Thanks Shasta.
Attachments
Aureo_marginata .JPG
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Hej and welcome to the forums, just sad you are going to put your S and S on the garbage :cry:

Hard to see on the second pic, can be light reflections, but if there is a zig zag like along the veins? - sorry it have to go too.
I think it is weather conditions doing the strange twistings and bumbings on your VA.. or at least I hope so, one eye on mine look the same :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply