Sum and Substance HVX ???

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Dick Shepardson

Sum and Substance HVX ???

Post by Dick Shepardson »

I just found this forum and this is my first attempt to post. We had a garden walk this last Sunday and someone identified a hasta they said had a problem. I found this forum while trying to track down the problem. I think I have about 12 hostas infected with HVX. I'll try to post a picture of a large Sum and Substance that I think has to go (I'm depressed). Would like confirmation on this.
Attachments
Sum and Substance HVX.jpg
Sum and Substance HVX.jpg (36.26 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

I have a Sum and Substance that looks the same as yours. I have isolated it and plan to wait another week before trashing it. I had a huge Glory that was sick and then I found this forum and realized it had the virus. I had bought it in 2003 from a very well known hosta dealer in upstate SC . I don't believe he knew about the virus but I don't know if any of the other hosta from 2003 are sick. Now that I am aware of the virus I check daily. The sum and substance and Glory are the only ones NOW! This is making me sick!!! I have hundreds of hosta.
GOD GROWS THE FLOWERS AND i TEND AND ENJOY THEM
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

That is so sad to see. :( I am no expert but it sure does look like HVX to me. Wait til Chris has a chance to pop on and take a look.
The equally sad thing is that many reputable nurseries sold infected plants without knowing they were infected. This virus can sometimes take years to show the visible signs and it's my understanding that the ELISA test is the only test that truly detects the virus? There is no way that nurseries can test every single hosta, but I would think that they could and should take random samples at least of shipments that arrive from their suppliers. Chris is very vigilant about watching for HVX and I know he has had to destroy hostas that he has gotten from some of his suppliers in the past.
That being said, I feel that , now that the HVX problem is known in the hosta/gardening world, that there is no excuse for a nursery to sell infected plants that show visible signs. Unfortunately we still see some nurseries out there with obviously infected plants on their shelves and when confronted will deny that there is a problem. I will not buy hostas from a nursery like that. I figure if one plant is infected then there is a good chance that many will be infected.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Sorry I missed your post earlier. Yes, this looks like HVX on your Sum and Substance. Unfortunately there are a lot of infected S & S out there. :(
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Today I trashed the Sum and Substance and a Birckwood p. gold and that makes three for me. I went overboard in cleaning the shovel. First I soaked it in water with alcohol and then I used water and bleach and finally I heated a big pan of boiling water and poured it over the shovel. This is so time consuming but I realize I might save the rest of my hosta. My hosta addiction has been out of control for years and I do believe this is my wake up call! In 2004 I planned a vacation to go home by way of Wade and Gatton and did I ever have a good time. All of those hosta are beautiful and they gave me a blue mouse ears because of my southern accent and the fact I wanted to go there so badly. I was in Lowes and Home Depot today and did not touch their hosta.
GOD GROWS THE FLOWERS AND i TEND AND ENJOY THEM
New Topic Post Reply