Another "case" for you! :o/

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Hey_J

Another "case" for you! :o/

Post by Hey_J »

I just purchased this "Grand Canyon" from one of our local nurseries who have responded very positively to any virused specimens that have been pointed out to them. I have been reluctant since I have spotted and pointed out others, for fear of encountering a case of "money thrown away" a year or so from now, but I had nursery "bucks" to spend! Slump

ImageImage

ImageImage

I also spotted a very suspicious "Lakeside Kaleidoscope" with very gnarled leaves and extreme crinkling, even on the very small emerging new growth! Sigh!!!

Thank you, Chris, for your vigilence and willingness to be so helpful in this area!!! I can't wait to order from you in the future!!
I hear "good" things from those who have!!

PS I bet I need to learn how to do those clickable "thumbnails"!! Does this cause a problem when I use this size for close examination?
Janice
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Grand Canyon is a S&S sport , isn't it? I hope what you're seeing weather related or maybe a nutrient deficiency instead of HVX. I'm sure Chris will let you know as soon as he has the time to pop on here and check the posts.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Janice,

The first picture doesn't look like HVX but the second picture sure looks odd. Are those pictures of the same leaves?

Hopefully this nursery will clean things up soon so it doesn't just get worse. I am still doing a lot of testing, especially of our older plants before we start dividing them, since I still get worried that it could be lurking out there. But I can't imagine how bad some nurseries will have it in a couple years if they aren't more careful.

If you need me to take a closer look feel free to send me a leaf in a ziploc bag or you can email me a higher resolution picture and I'll take a closer look that way. It is kind of hard to tell, but it does look suspicious.
New Topic Post Reply