Moonlight - possible HVX

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

tsneal

Moonlight - possible HVX

Post by tsneal »

I need some help. This one sure looks odd to me. Isn't Moonlight the first Gold Standard sport? If so, I would expect it to do some odd color changing but this sure looks like HVX to me. What do y'all think?
Attachments
moon.JPG
moon.JPG (55.9 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
hvx.JPG
tsneal

A couple more...

Post by tsneal »

Some more
Attachments
moon2.JPG
moon2.JPG (44.66 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
moonlight2.JPG
moonlight2.JPG (38.44 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Knowing the odd color changes that Moonlight goes through I think this could be normal. Also, I have Moonlight that does this sort of thing every year and every year I send samples to be virus tested and they all come back negative for ANY virus.

Another plant that does this is Pineapple Upsidedown Cake. Each year it has a dark green that looks very odd while making the color change to yellow. Again, I've sent multiple samples for the past 2 years and they all come back negative.

Still, keep a close eye on it after it changes to yellow. If you see some dark green crop back up along the veins then there is a problem.
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Thanks so very much Chris. I'll watch this one close. I must add that I don't think I like it much...lol!

Stephanie
New Topic Post Reply