Virus on Antioch?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Digginit

Virus on Antioch?

Post by Digginit »

My Antioch has some weird things going on with the smaller inner leaves. Does HVX usually appear on the smaller inner leaves? The outer leaves look fine. Does this look like HVX?
Attachments
Gardens 6-27-06 to 7-4-06 012.jpg
Gardens 6-27-06 to 7-4-06 012.jpg (31.24 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Gardens 6-27-06 to 7-4-06 007.jpg
Gardens 6-27-06 to 7-4-06 007.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Collecting coral bells and tiarella
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

It is really hard to tell from these pictures, but by small, inner leaves do you mean the first set or oldest leaves? If the new growth is nice and clean looking this could be old frost damage. If this is occurring on the newest growth then it doesn't look very good, though I would need a larger or closer picture before I could say anything about virus for sure.
Digginit

Post by Digginit »

I think the leaves in the photo could be older leaves, because they are thick. I went out in the thunderstorm to take a second look, and I see a couple of other smaller leaves that are also in the center of the plant. They are not as thick and are lighter in color - I think they may be new growth. It's hard to get a good assessment of leaf color because they are wet, but I don't think they have the same problem. They are not distorted in shape and I only saw one round brown spot on one of the three newer leaves. I will need to look at them again when they dry out.
Collecting coral bells and tiarella
New Topic Post Reply