virus on lancifolia?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Digginit

virus on lancifolia?

Post by Digginit »

I'm getting paranoid here. I've got alot of spots on the lancifolia, and another solid green variety that I don't know the name. Some of the spots do come across the veins. Please tell me if I am in peril.
Attachments
Gardens 6-27-06 to 7-4-06 013.jpg
Gardens 6-27-06 to 7-4-06 013.jpg (58.31 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Gardens 6-27-06 to 7-4-06 010.jpg
Gardens 6-27-06 to 7-4-06 010.jpg (57.08 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Collecting coral bells and tiarella
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

The smaller flecks are most likely frost damage on Lancifolia. Mine got that two years in a row and were badly frosted but stood back up. The only damage was that small surface spotting.

The spots in the first picture could be virus, but probably not Hosta Virus X. If it was in my garden and those spots started to expand or spread at all it would be out in an instant.

The brown spots on the second picture look more like fungus. Are those spots along the veins brown on the back of the leaves? If so, this isn't virus, but some other damage that got a secondary fungal infection. You could just remove those damaged leaves to clean them up if you wanted, being sure to clean off your pruners, scissors, or fingers afterwards.

If you wanted to post a picture of the back of the 2nd picture (lancifolia?) I might be able to tell better.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris
Digginit

Post by Digginit »

It is storming now, so I can't take any pictures, but will try to get some when it dries up. I ran out and looked at the leaves, and it looked like the biggest spot ate pretty much thru the leaf. The rest of the leaf looked good. But it was wet, so I can't tell if I'd see more if it were dry. Thanks so much for helping me. I'll try to post another picture when things try up (supposed to rain all day tomorrow too).
Collecting coral bells and tiarella
New Topic Post Reply