Cooked Squash Casserole

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Robin
USDA Zone: 7b

Cooked Squash Casserole

Post by Robin »

Well I've been on the road again. At least this time is was two short trips (u.s.)

Now that I'm back again, it's time to address the problem children. I'll need to send some of the leafs up, however I think a few can be scanned. The oddities are pretty noticeable on some of the larger kids.

Below you will find a leaf from my 4 year old Squash Casserole. This child was a mature one eye division 4 years ago when I bought it from one of the better hosta nurseries. When I left back in Nov. 2004 it looked normal. Now it's BIG odd looking hosta.

So what do you think.... Squash Casserole or Cooked Squash Casserole?
Attachments
SquashCasserole.jpg
SquashCasserole.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
sc3.jpg
sc3.jpg (56.26 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
sc1.jpg
sc1.jpg (47.26 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Burned Casserole maybe?

Sure does have some of the classic Hosta Virus X symptoms - badly. I am so sorry to see it :(

From what I've been seeing it takes on average about 2 years for the symptoms to really show on an infected hosta. Some are much quicker and a few take longer. So if you got it in '02 and looked normal through '04 but is infected in '06 that would put, on average, the time of infection somewhere closer to 2004. Plants purchased in 2004 should be watched carefully this year for possible symptoms, and be sure to use good gardening practices such as cleaning off your shovel after each and every hosta you dig, clean pruners after each hosta you cut, and wash your hands after each hosta you handle. Hopefully these are isolated cases but you will want to be extra careful now.

Good luck Robin!
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi Robin and Chris,

I've seen several hostas like that and I'm wondering what it is too. Certainly we can't rule out HVX, but it looks more like Cynthia than HVX.

If at all possible, can you get this one tested to see what turns up?

............Bill Meyer
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
New Topic Post Reply