Ideas to educate plant sellers...

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Willowy

Ideas to educate plant sellers...

Post by Willowy »

Every garden center/plant seller I have visited this summer has some hosta with HVX. While none of these garden businesses specialize in hosta first (though their collections are growing due to demand), it is still fustrating that the owners have little to no knowledge about hosta and definitely no knowledge of HVX. Hosta suppliers/distributors should be required to distribute educational material about HVX with each order. Perhaps information could also appear on the plant tags. Then consumers can ask questions and the garden center owner will have to be well versed on the subject.

I know this not the best marketing idea. However either we want everyone educated or we allow people to blindly sell or buy and continue spreading the virus. Anyone can start a business selling plants and a step like this may speed up the education process.
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I do like that idea, but I wonder how feasible (and costly) it would be. Seems like information on all the other possible viruses would have to be included also and that would make for a huge plant tag! Maybe a warning label with a phone number or website addy could be used instead? Just a thought. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I think it is the wholesale companies who are at fault here. Out of 5 wholesalers that I've received HVX infected plants in the past only 2 have even acknowledged that they sold them. One of them sent out a letter to everyone who bought plants from a batch of Gold Standard last spring, almost immediately after they found out, and yet some nurseries still continued to sell those HVX infected plants. I know because I saw the plants tags on infected plants later in the summer!

The other wholesaler acknowledged for the first time this year that they even had HVX infected plants when they offered "Hosta Virus X free" #2 grade plants, with a note that they expect to have the rest of their plants virus free "in the future".

The other 3 companies have never once acknowledged that they sold plants with Hosta Virus X. :evil:
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Chris, I agree with you that the wholesale companies are at fault here. Perhaps the title of the subject should have been "hit wholesalers where it hurts and educate sellers" because that was the intent of my suggestion...to put the responsibility of education (which will cost $$) on the wholesalers. Heightened awareness all around will make the wholesalers more accountable for what they sell when an educated garden center tries to hold them accountable.

To bring the idea full circle, we can't leave out the buyer. While the HVX story cannot be told effectively on a plant tag, Joan's idea of a web address and number on a tag for more information would be advantageous to any serious gardener that wants more information about the plants they purchase.

What are the trade associations doing for education...government agencies...?
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

A CD or even DVD is not that expencive

DO not know what the AHS do, but an informative e-mail to all US nurseries will not be that expenxive eitheer, may be combined with a web adress

Too many systems seems not to like to know :evil:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply