Suspicious Looking Leaf

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Suspicious Looking Leaf

Post by Patrushka »

I was planning to share my Pineapple Upsidedown Cake in the summer secret trade. When I went out to look at it, I noticed this leaf. :o Then I noticed these spots on some of the other leaves. What do you think? :-? Sorry the second two aren't that clear. DS#2 left the camera set on macro and you know I don't always do so well with macro. :wink:
Attachments
Spots on back
Spots on back
Pineapple Upsidedown Cake 003c.jpg (32.86 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Spots on front
Spots on front
Pineapple Upsidedown Cake 002c.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Suspicious Leaf
Suspicious Leaf
Pineapple Upsidedown Cake 001c.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Pat,

It is really hard to see the pictures, but the damage in the first leaf looks like insect or cold damage to me. Pineapple Upsidedown Cake goes through some odd color changes that can mimic HVX symptoms but it isn't. This looks different from the color changes, though. Clearer pictures might show something different, but I don't really see anything. You would expect dark green mottling that follows the veins on a yellow hosta.

Chris
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks Chris. :D I was hoping you would say it wasn't HVX. That first leaf is the only one that has that different color and funny shape. I'll try to get some clearer pics. Maybe one of the boys can do better than I did.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Pat, when you use Macro, try not to get too close to the leaf. What you see in the view finder is what you'll see in the pic. If when you touch the button slightly, and the camera focuses, but shows it out of focus still, step back a little and try again before taking the pic. You can always crop and zoom before you post it if needed. :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply