Saw this at a nursery.....

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

newtohosta-no more

Saw this at a nursery.....

Post by newtohosta-no more »

And it sure does look like HVX to me on their Sum & Substances. I told the owner/manager that I suspected it and she was aware of HVX ,but didn't think S&S was one of the ones susceptible to it. She seemed very concerned and said she'd check them out and check to see who the supplier was on them. Dr. Dave told me that he spotted some Striptease at this same nursery that he was sure had HVX and also told the owner. I told him that I didn't see any Striptease on the shelves at all the day I was there, so it looks as though they were pulled off the shelf. At least I hope so......and they weren't sold to unsuspecting customers. :???:
Attachments
S&SwithPossibleHVX.jpg
S&SwithHVXSBkJuly06.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, no doubt about it, that is Hosta Virus X. Maybe she has heard of it, but to leave these on the shelves and not realize this is the virus means she doesn't really know enough about it.

That was great that you told her so she can get rid of them.
nimblewill

Post by nimblewill »

HVX on S&S has to be about the easiest to spot. Even I can do it. Those look like the several dozen S&S that one of the local Lowes had a few weeks back. I talked to one of the garden center people, but, by his attitude, didn't expect that anything would be done. After all, plants are purchased by a regional buyer and the local store doesn't have anything to say about it. :roll: I was surprised to see them all gone a week later. :D They did miss some Undulatas, though. The plants at Lowes came from a wholesale/retail operation in Sandusky, Ohio. Apparently both the wholesaler and the state of dept of agriculture are aware that this nursery regularly sells virused hostas. I made a complaint to to the local inspector a couple weeks ago, but I think it ended up in the circular file. I guess it's better to have a lap dog than a watch dog sometimes. Chris, are all state depts of ag so lax? Maybe they figure the virus is so widespread that it's pointless to try to stop it now.
Bill

Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. ~Lou Erickson
New Topic Post Reply