Is this HVX on a guacomole ??

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Sunny

Is this HVX on a guacomole ??

Post by Sunny »

A friend of mine asked me to come to her house and check on her hostas beacuse this one pictured started geting all wrinkled and wiered after she divided it..I can only tell HVX symptoms on S & S, blue cadet etc. the ones with the mottling along the veins. I told her to use caution with it until I could check it out here first.
Attachments
this is the plant in question.
this is the plant in question.
IM000850.JPG (14.57 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
There are lighter spots on this leaf.
There are lighter spots on this leaf.
IM000849.JPG (8.86 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
this is the guacomole. See the leaves are wrinkled and distorted.
this is the guacomole. See the leaves are wrinkled and distorted.
IM000848.JPG (11.25 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Sure does look highly suspicous to me. I'm going to be interested in what Chris has to say about it.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Sunny,

I'm afraid the pictures are really hard to see for me to tell for sure if it is virus, or if it is something else causing the spots/wrinkling. When I've seen HVX on Guacamole it didn't cause it to wrinkle but it might have done it later.

Any chance of getting a higher resolution picture? Even a raw picture from your camera? If you want you can email me a high res picture to hallsons@perennialnursery.com and then I can zoom in on any suspicious areas here on my computer.

Wish I could tell you more but hopefully we can take a closer look for you.

Thanks,

Chris
supercat2

no pic but, ...

Post by supercat2 »

One eye of my guacamole came up this year with the odd crinkling, but not really odd coloring. I was looking for HVX, as it was a new plant last year from a "reputable" nursery, but, I've seen too many questionable plants at "reputable" nurseries in Central OH. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with weather - we had a warm early spring with a late cold snap. The leaves looked very similar to the first picture. I'll try to get a pic later & post it.
Supercat
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Supercat,

Frost damage and early freeze damage to eyes will cause crinkling/puckering of leaves - especially on the fragrant plants. If the next set of leaves (the fragrant plants keep growing all summer) look fine then that's all it was.

In Guacamole there should be a darker zig-zag like pattern following the veins - but I wouldn't expect any tissue distortion until the virus reaches an extremely high concentration.
supercat2

Thanks Chris!

Post by supercat2 »

It's such a beautiful hosta, I was really sad that I might have to dig it out! I'll keep an eye on it, but as I said in the original post, we had a wierd spring!

:D
Supercat
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

That pic doesn't look viroused to me. Just "Guac behaving badly" :D
New Topic Post Reply