Why not just use roundup?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Hank Zumach

Why not just use roundup?

Post by Hank Zumach »

Chris--Because of the concerns over spreading the virus when digging up an invected plant, why not just use Roundup and let the plant die in the ground? That would seem to eliminate the possiblity of contamination. My understanding is that the virus dies as soon as the plant is dead.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Hank,

Hostas are pretty tough to kill. I suppose if you brush on concentrate to the leaves and pour some onto the crown it would do the trick. Last year I accidentally sprayed very high concentration of roundup mixed with brush killer on an Earth Angel and it died back to the ground completely only to return at half the size this year. (This is what can happen when I'm spraying weeds at dusk and you are spraying skunk cabbage that is growing around hostas :roll: )

So my concern is that roundup may not completely kill the plant. We dig up infected plants with spading forks, get close to the crown and pry them out. But these are not established plants so it isn't that tough...
New Topic Post Reply