And these people were proud

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

LucyGoose

And these people were proud

Post by LucyGoose »

of their bed with about 6-8 of these in it.....Pat and I couldn't talk any sence into them about getting rid of these.....They have that hosta Break Dance all nicely labled right up in front of their little cottage in a big whiskey barrel.....They KNOW it is virised and think it is PRETTY!! :o .....Plus they think it is okay if they keep it CONTAINED........ :???: .....But I think I saw the virus in some potted hosta's. Pretty sure!! We told them to go here or the HL.....This is a business, too.... :roll:
Attachments
To see a whole bed of just these was almost too much for me......ask Pat how I was acting.....LOL
To see a whole bed of just these was almost too much for me......ask Pat how I was acting.....LOL
s 196.jpg
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Here's my pic from two days before of a so-called sport of August Moon. :eek:
Attachments
August Moon Sport
August Moon Sport
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

That was in a different bed that the two picture's I took....Pretty contained, huh??
bengal

Post by bengal »

Those things give me the willies!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

All I can say is what I told you on the phone ,LG. I tell nursery owners that since I am a hosta collector (but not an expert by any means) that I and other collectors like me would NEVER buy any hosta from a business that has something like that in their gardens! We have no idea how they handle their plants...whether they are for sale or just for display. They might snip scapes off the infected ones on display and then use the same tools, without proper cleaning, on their nursery stock. And that gardeners DO spread the word around as to what nurseries to avoid and what ones to frequent. In other words, they are taking a chance of losing business just from having and displaying those infected plants. And if any of them are offering infected plants for sale and the owner gives you the brush off, you can always report them to the Dept. of Agriculture in your state. I hope anyone who is in LG's area will PM her and ask the name of the nursery....then go visit them yourselves and voice the same concerns to the owners. Make sure they know you are walking away without making a purchase because of what you have seen there! Customer complaints and the loss of a potential customer ($$$) may convince them to dispose of these plants. :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

It seems that the President of The American Hemerocallis Society (Former President of The American Hosta Society) told them that if they keep them isolated or contained they should not have a problem with spreading the virus.
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Wonder what the current president of the Amer. Hosta Society would tell them???? :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Man that is so sad! Are you saying these people were a garden center? not just someone in a building that hosta in their gardens? Really sad! :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
John

Post by John »

I wonder how one person could make it to President of both Hosta and Hemerocallis Societies? It would seem one would need to be totally focused on a single Genus of choice... Is it possible there was some confusion as initials are the same (AHS)?
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Joan, I hope she would tell them to destroy the plants. I finally found some information about HVX on the AHS web site. I was beginning to wonder if there was any info about it there. :o You have to move your mouse over to "About Hosta", then "FAQ", then "Pests and Diseases" and click on it. Then scroll down to "Diseases" and click on "Viruses".

Jane, It's a daylily farm. :???:

John, There is no confusion. :( The current American Hemerocallis Society President is a former American Hosta Society President.
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
ademink

Post by ademink »

Just FYI, they are no longer selling hostas. :D
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I think I would have been telling them what Joan does. And suggesting as tactfully as possible that even though the former AHS president told them what he/she did, that new information has been discovered since that contradicts what they were told, and that they should be doing their utmost to find all the current information available as well as destroying all of the plants they have that are affected. And it sounds like a LOT are.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Andrea, I don't think we are talking about the same place. I suspect that you are referring to the place in Noblesville, IN. That is where they got their Break Dance from. This place is in Renssalaer, IN.

Reldon, I believe we did tell them the latest information. I just don't think it's what they wanted to hear. I have never bought a hosta there and I never will. If I remember correctly, they told us that they buy their hosta stock and don't propagate their own plants.
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:eek: Send in the men in suits with flame throwers!!

QUARANTINE!! QUARANTINE!! QUARANTINE!!

:wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
ademink

Post by ademink »

Ahh, sorry. I was talking about Willow Veil Daylily and Hosta Garden in Cicero.
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply