Paradise Joyce and HVX

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

jgh

Paradise Joyce and HVX

Post by jgh »

I've had a couple of Paradise Joyce plants for a couple of years. The color on them always develops a little oddly and they always have smallish "spots" of blue. I worried that they might be HVX and have watched them go through this odd color changes for thei third time this year.

For my sale this spring, I did an "It's All In The Family" theme and did a display of Halcyon and its sports and tried to have many of them for sale. I got a set of Paradise Joyce bare root from a reputable wholesaler. The ones that didn't sell and are still in pots on my desk have that same odd coloration pattern.

Is this just the way Paradise Joyce is? Or am I seeing lots of virused plants?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jim,

That sounds like virused plants to me. I purchased Paradise Joyce in 2004 from Simple Pleasures (the grower's division of Van Bourgendien) and also from Darwin Plants, and both batches tested positive for HVX. Previous batches of Paradise Joyce always had a much more distinct center vs. margin coloration, but these looked muddied and washed together and never really looked that great.

The entire Halcyon family is on alert now. We bought Halcyon from Walters Gardens this spring and the results came back last week... POSITIVE for HVX. A call to Walters Gardens and I got an immediate credit. Their reply to the fact that I received Halcyon with HVX: "That doesn't surprise us." They caught it themselves so they discontinued sales of Halcyon starting in 2007, but not until after they sold infected plants this year. I'm going to start testing all of the Halcyon sports from now on too.

I worry that for all of the advancements in testing that the situation still isn't really getting any better. Far too many plants are getting through even after testing has been done.

I truly believe that the USDA needs to enact a 2 year post entry quarantine along with testing of all Hosta imports before we will be able to get this beast under control, and even then, growers really need to watch the stock they have on hand.
jgh

Post by jgh »

Wow, Chris... that "muddy coloration" is exactly what I'm talking about... so I've gotten two sets of virused plants...

now I'll have to watch all my other Halcyon plants - and I've got lots of them, kind of a collection of mine. Nothing odd so far in any of them...
madmama

Post by madmama »

Chris,
I got a Paradise Joyce from Van Bourgendien in 2002. I went out and looked at it trying to see what you meant about the muddy margins. As you can probably guess, nothing looks right to me this year. I went to the Hosta Library hoping to see a pic I could compare mine too, but there are no pictures of mature Paradise Joyce’s there. Do you happen to have one? I wonder if this plant was the start of all my troubles. Maybe I should just send you a couple of leaves and let you take a look. Sure wish my digital camera was still working. At this point I’m about ready to just dig everything up and start over.
<font size="+2" I>Jane<I/font>
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

This is the link to Fransen Hosta
Paradise Joyse is so lovely

http://www.hostakweker.nl/hostadetails.aspx?HostaID=668
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply