Delivering the message

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

viktoria

Delivering the message

Post by viktoria »

The state nursery inspector was here yesterday. She had heard of HVX but did not know what it looked like. I directed her to the Hosta Library site (is there a link there to this Forum?). I also directed her to the three major stores in a nearby town where I saw virused hostas. I can only hope that she takes this seriously enough to pay them a visit.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Good for you , Viktoria! But isn't it kind of disturbing that the "state inspectors" are so uninformed? How can they inspect properly?? :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

They do not inspect "properly" anyway, Joan. This inspector has a lot of ground to cover and she is new to the area (from Long Island!).

The previous inspectors, of whom I met two, made the rounds every other year. They are primarily expected to look for certain major pests and diseases (I don't know which ones) and they just stroll around displaying their ignorance of the plant material around. This one asked me if I had any currants or gooseberries on the premises (we were standing a few feet from a row of pots) and didn't see the row I had planted in another part of the yard, either.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

So exactly what is the qualifications for being an inspector for the State Dept. of Ag???? :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

A college degree (not sure this girl has a bachelor's or a 2-year degree) in science? It didn't sound like she had any experience.
New Topic Post Reply