Bad Lowe's!

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

ademink

Bad Lowe's!

Post by ademink »

I was at Lowe's yesterday and wandered through the plant section. They had a 'Fire Island' there that was so badly infected, I almost shrieked. LOL I picked it up w/ 2 fingers just as the manager walked up and said, "are you finding everything ok"? I informed him that his hostas were badly infected w/ HVX...explained it...showed him the plants and suggested that he contact his grower for a credit. He literally just stood there and stared at me.

I stared back.

He stared some more. LOL

I said, "I thought you should know and would want to know. To be honest, I won't be buying any hostas from you again because of the condition of these plants. As a manager, I thought you would be interested".

He just looked at me....I said "...or maybe not...".

And then he walked away!!!! Amazing.

Perhaps I should add "where there is HVX, war" to my signature line below! LOL

Andrea
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Email the Lowe's home office. THey do NOT find it amusing when their employees shrug off comments about diseased plants.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
supercat2

Post by supercat2 »

I shop at two Lowe's her in Central Ohio - both had infected plants earlier this year. Then the Dispatch printed an article about HVX in which Chris was quoted. (there was also a Lowe's manager quoted, claiming tht Lowe's didn't sell virused Hosta anymore !?!) I stopped in yesterday, & while i saw number of heat stressed plants, didn't see any visibly infected plants anymore. But they were still from the large grower in Northern OH that I KNOW has been selling virused plants the last few years. I still wouldn't touch them with a 30" pole!!
Supercat
ademink

Post by ademink »

Good idea on emailing the corporate office - I'll do that. Thanks!!!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

You could also call the Lowe's corporate office. I had a similar experience at a Lowe's in Dedham, MA, where they had a whole display of infected 'Honeybells.' I informed the manager, who told me he would remove them immediately. I remained in the store for another 15 minutes and he never even came over to look at the plants. I even snapped photos of the infected plants and no one said a word. I reported the incident by phone to Lowe's corporate office, and two days later received a phone call from the (very disgruntled) garden center manager at the Dedham, MA store informing me that the diseased hostas had been removed. I didn't notice any obviously diseased hostas the last time I checked, but I won't buy hostas there anymore just the same. I've only purchased one hosta this year, and I got that from a nursery in Carlisle, MA that is very much aware of HVX -- if any plant shows signs of the disease, they destroy the whole batch.
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply