Is this HVX on gold standard & sum & substance?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

supercat2

Is this HVX on gold standard & sum & substance?

Post by supercat2 »

Or am I being Paranoid?
I hope these pictures are sharp enough to tell. These are both plants that I bought at big box stores before I knew about HVX. I've been watching them & today noticed suspicious spots. I do know that it is late in the season & no hosta looks it's best just now.

the first is S & S, the second is GS

I've been resigned to the possibility of loosing these plants ( 2 of each & 3 years old) I just want to get them out before this fall if they are infected.
Attachments
GSchimney8.06.jpg
GSchimney8.06.jpg (25.76 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
sm s&sw.jpg
sm s&sw.jpg (15.65 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
Supercat
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

That first pic looks too fuzzy for me to see anything definite. I didn't think the second pic looks infected. Just looks similar to seasonal changes to me. But I would advise you to wait until Chris gets a chance to look at these. You might want to PM him and tell him this post is here. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Supercat,

Thanks for emailing me a better picture of your Sum and Substance :) I don't see any Hosta Virus X problems with either plant. HVX on both of these cultivars would show as a dark green pattern right along and radiating out from the veins. That isn't present at all.

With the Sum and Substance there might be a little bit of light patches between the veins, but this is fairly normal and can often be from nutrient deficiencies or can happen when the plants are growing fast. I think when they grow up they will look fine.

Hope that helps!

Chris
supercat2

Thanks!!

Post by supercat2 »

Thanks Chris! Another year's reprieve for these plants. The Sum & Substance is growing pretty fast, and although I did amend the soil when I planted it, I didn't fertilize this year. I'm watching my S & S and my Gold Standards fairly closely since they were all purchased at "big box" stores before I knew about HVX. (my hosta addiciton was just beginning...) Thanks for all you do. Your forums have been so helpful!
Supercat
New Topic Post Reply