Another striptease

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

aka_margo

Another striptease

Post by aka_margo »

This is what my striptease looks like. It is now living beside the composter all by itself. It was growing in a difficult location, and we did have a very warm spring and then a late frost. Is this HVX????

Close up of leaf:

Whole plant:
You were born an original. Don't die a copy. ~John Mason
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Ewwww......I'd say yes!! What a shame, because otherwise it would be a beautiful hosta. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

I hate to say, but yes it is HVX.
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

´Not sure
Look like the leaves are hid by frost

Can have HVX too, but I would wait year if it is isolated from other hostas before I decide what it is

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

No doubt in my mind. That is HVX. :(

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Liselotte

Virus

Post by Liselotte »

Pia may have a point!
I had a group of Hosta people in the Garden on May 25th. The Hostas never looked better. On march 30 it started to snow and the white stuff just kept falling, with it the temperature. June 2, we woke up to 8 " of snow and - 4º Celcius. By 2.00 P.M. the strong sun had melted the snow.
The large Hostas were limp but did not look too bad, but 2 days later, depending on variety, I saw all kinds of damage. I hate to say, many plants looked like they were infected with various diseases or strange viruses and some looked like it could be HVX. The new leaves coming in looked just fine until last week, when we had the first light frost and it looks like the season is over. Having lived with the fear of HVX for about 2 years, I have found just one plant this summer that worries me, a Striptease received 2004. This plant looked bad and I had it tested by Dr. Lockhart. The test came back negative, but since then we know, that the virus could still be present. However, that plant does look different, just stunted growth, shriveling but no bleeding or streaking. The plant is in isolation in a pot and I will watch it for a while longer before pitching it.
thy

Post by thy »

Hej Liselotte, long time no see :wink:
Just asked Bert on the hosta forum how your summer have been... short I can see :cry:
Have to go on your forum more often, but I'm lazy, good to see you here :D

Do you have a healthy Striptease at all, if not PM me your addy

Pia
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Unfortunately, though, the plant pictured definitely is infected with HVX.

Frost damage will often be confined only to the tips of the leaves, but if you look closely the bumping and color bleeding continued down into the leaves and isn't just confined to one spot towards the ends. Frost doesn't usually discolor a plant like this either. The brown and now torn tips on a few of the oldest leaves is from frost.

Sorry,

Chris
ademink

Post by ademink »

Ohhh, major bummer, girl! Is this your only Striptease? If so, let me know and I'll send you a chunk. :bd:
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Liselotte

Virus

Post by Liselotte »

Sorry, I should have looked at the pictures more carefully.
Althougth my Hostas look terrible, there is no bleeding any where, for that I am grateful. Let's face it, I am paranoid about this horrible virus :bd: :bd: :bd:
Pia thanks! I have 2 large Striptease from 2003 (growing in a protected area) and 9 from 2004 doing o.k. after freezing down to the crown. There is that one under observation in isolation, making a new leaf (the pitching into the trash will wait a little longer).

sorry for not playing on the forum a lot, this is an insane growing season for me. :lol:
thy

Post by thy »

Chris

Are you thimking of the bleeding in the right corner of the 2. pic :-? ????
New Topic Post Reply