Roots & HVX

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

AliceS

Roots & HVX

Post by AliceS »

I have a question about HVX and the roots of Hosta.

If Hosta are planted or have grown closely together will HVX from one Hosta spread by the root system to another Hosta that share the same space/soil?

I think the answer to this is yes, but I just wanted a clarification.

Trying to learn all I can about this virus.

Thanks -

Alice S.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Alice,

Technially no, HVX won't spread just from growing other hostas near an infected plant. If you cut into one root and damage a healthy root at the same time then it can spread, or if you are weeding/cultivating in the area and damage roots it can spread, but just having the roots touching, in theory, should not spread the virus.

Hope that helps,

Chris
AliceS

Post by AliceS »

Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply - so if you had a Hosta that was infected growing so closely to other Hosta that the roots are probably entwined, how would you go about removing the infected plant?

An old friend of mine has an infected Gold Standard that I told her I'd help get rid of, but when I went over there she has two other Hosta growing so closely I know the roots must share space. The other two Hosta (Abba Dabba Do and Elegans) do not show any symptoms. The Gold Standard is in advances stages of HVX.

Any thoughts on how to solve this?

Thanks so much - Alice S.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I would wait until the plant is dormant and the ground is cold by not frozen, then take a spading fork, drive it down into the crown of the gold standard and try to pry and pull it out of the ground. It is okay to leave Gold Standard roots behind, just don't plant anything else there (sounds like it is crowded anyway).

By waiting until the plants are dormant, no sap is running in them so it reduces the chances of sap transfer into the wounds.

You aren't transplanting, just trying to remove the crown, so be brutal with the infected one if you have to, so long as you stay away from the others.

Some people have suggested putting roundup on the infected plant, although my own experiences with hostas and roundup only top killed the plants - they came back from the roots.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

One other thought. Elegans is very hard to infect, while Abba Dabba Do can catch HVX somewhat easily, so stay further away from Abba Dabba Do.
AliceS

Post by AliceS »

Thank you so much for your advice, Chris. I really do appreciate it and the fact that you are so willing to share your knowledge with all of us.

Alice S.
New Topic Post Reply