hosta bottom line might be infected

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Canadian-hosta-girl

hosta bottom line might be infected

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

hello...i am new here and have been reading for a few months on that virus x in forums , 2 weeks ago we made large hosta beds/ gardens and by close look of one hosta while planting it ,i notice it might be infected but didnt know for sure....so tonight i took one of the leaves inside to take pictures of it,

my hosta is called bottom line and it is a small plant i got this summer , it only has 4 leaves on it (now 3 lol) but one rater big and it is the same as the one in these pic , tomorow if we dont get frost overnight i will try and get other pic.....

i have over 80 hosta variaties and it seems to be the only one with this problem ....can you please give me your insight on it?

thanks
anitamo

Post by anitamo »

I'm not an expert, but it looks highly suspect to me. Do you know the name of this hosta? I've looked at a lot of photos at different sites that have pics of infected hostas, and yours look similar to the virus on those. I'm sure Chris will answer soon and you'll know for sure.
Canadian-hosta-girl

hosta ``bottom line`` infected ?

anitamo , the hosta name is `bottom line` , it is written in my title and in my description.

can it also be because it is very small and missing some light or something else ? or growing into his color ?
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Hmmm....I'm iffy on this one. I see odd markings, but am not sure if it could be HVX or not. Wondering if it's a nutrient problem instead. Let's wait and see what Chris has to say since he's the expert here. :wink:
And good luck....I hope it's not HVX.
Welcome to Hallson's! :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Canadian Hosta Girl!

I don't really see anything other than some dirt and maybe a little bit of nutrient deficiency on a young plant.

However, the plant isn't Bottom Line. Bottom Line is dark green with a yellow edge.

Keep an eye on any of the Sum and Substance sports, though, as they can all catch HVX easily.

Hope that helps,

Chris
anitamo

Post by anitamo »

Ooops, how did I miss that? I get sidetracked sometimes by the photos, but when I read "bottom line," in your title, I just thought you were using the phrase, as in, "Okay, what's the bottom line here, does it have HVX or not?" LOL.
Canadian-hosta-girl

thanks

Hi Chris , thanks , after visiting a trusted garden center i go to for many years now, this morning i was confirmed it wasnt hvx....and said same as you nutriment or missing light as the pot been sitting in very shady place until he would be planted and under an oak tree we have tons of oak trees here and they often make a sticky stuff on cars and peranials close by and some dont like it and make spots :)

and yes it is a bottom line leaf this is a newer small leaf , the bigger leaf on my plant i didnt get a good pic of i didnt post it but it as the edge on it.....when i went back this am to the place i bought it as well as the other hosta garden place he aslo said it wasnt hvx and probably nutriment problem .....and he aslo as cut back all the bottom line hosta like mine to help them grow stronger earlier this summer and their coming out with more color in the margin as well....so i'll now have to wait to see that on mine next year :wink:

thanks Chris and others for taking the time to answer me , it is apreciated , i just made new hosta gardens witn over 30 hostas in them for this year and belive me i didnt want to risk infecting all these hostas...

Canadian-hosta-girl :D
Canadian-hosta-girl

oups forgot

this is bottom line (the hostas lol :wink: )on display,at the hosta place i got mine .... he ususally sells me divisions from his hostas when he as many in gardens of that variaty but he only had one bottom line and he didnt want to divide it yet :( can you imagine the nice clump i would have gotten ??????????

what a nice hosta , my new favorite with my lady isobel barnett :D

Canadian-hosta-girl
ademink

Post by ademink »

I've read some forums that suggest that Bottom Line and LIB are in fact the same hosta. I have them both and don't care if they are the same...I'm keepin' 'em!!! :bd:
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Canadian-hosta-girl

i have both Lady Isobel Barnett and now bottom line , have seen them in a demonstraion garden where i bought my bottom line and their alike but not the same , diffrent coloring ....LIB is much darker green and seemed to have leaves that stays upper too ...

here it is in the demonstration garden where i pictured bottom line (photo in other post above)

this is mine, good size clump and as stayed upper as well....maybe because their not mature enough they seem to stay upper?

and i too , wouldnt trade them either ;)

Canadian-hosta-girl
New Topic Post Reply