Directions for sending samples to Dr. Lockhart

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Princess Diana

Directions for sending samples to Dr. Lockhart

Post by Princess Diana »

I have several samples of leaves that look like they may have Hosta Virus X. I would like to send them to Dr. Lockhart for testing. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this? Thanks for your help!
John

Post by John »

Surely there is no HVX in the hereafter?
ademink

Post by ademink »

roflol - hilarious, John!!! Took me a minute to get it! :lol:
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome Diana,

Dr. Lockhart doesn't take samples directly but you can send samples to the Plant Disease Clinic/Virus Testing Lab at the University of Minnesota for HVX testing by ELISA. The cost is $25 for the first sample and $5 for each additional sample. Send your leaf samples with no excess moisture in ziploc bags to:

Plant Disease Clinic
University of Minnesota
495 Borlaug Hall
1991 Upper Buford Circle
St. Paul, MN 55108-6030

Results usually take about a week and a half. Try to send 2 to 3 of the most symptomatic leaves (if any are showing symptoms). Remember to clean your scissors thoroughly between each cut. I use rubbing alcohol and a paper towel, you could also use clorox disinfecting wipes. Be sure to get all the plant sap off the scissors between each cut.

Hope that helps to answer your question :)

Chris
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

:lol: @ John. I'll admit that your comment went right over my head! I had to go back and read things several times before I got it. :lol:

And Princess Di....I hope your hostas aren't infected. I know the testing can be quite expensive. Anyway you can post pics of the most infected leaves on here, so Chris can take a look at them. Sometimes the signs are obvious and sometimes not.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:evil: John

You are next in line to translate a long story .. in Danish :evil: :wink: :D :lol:

Diana, Chris is so rigth, but so is "New to hosta no more". Joan...if you can post pics, lots of times the simptons are so clear, we can all se them..if not, ask Chris, he mostly can... and then there is the last option... ask Dr. Lochart...

All in one
Bye your new hostas from nurseries knowing for sure what HVX are, Hallsons to be mentioned in US and a cooperative here in Europe
Good luck... hosta are lovely plants, just not in the hand of the wrong people.... they sell you HvX,...and know they do :evil

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply