Chris & Canadians on the forum , affected Can Nurseries

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Canadian-hosta-girl

Chris & Canadians on the forum , affected Can Nurseries

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

Hi Chris et hostaolics :)

do you know, are you aware if any nurseries or garden centers in Canada and Quebec may have sold infected plants ?

any Canadians or Quebec people on this board that might know ?

i have heared a representative / retailer /distributor for hosta in Quebec as had affected hostas but i dont know his name or the variaties that wore affected or the garden centers or nurseries that as bought from him , i have learned this from where i bought a few hostas this year ...i think this was 2 years ago with certain batches or hostas.

anyone know about this ?

i also noticed the original photo tags in hostas this year wore replaced by white arrow handwritten tags maybe so we dont know where their coming from ?

canadian-hosta-girl
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Greets from the West Coast, where the weather is starting to turn and the fall rains are not far off.

Yes, I have seen several examples of HVX infected batches of Hostas in 4 or 5 nurseries in the Greater Vancouver area. One of them that springs to mind was a batch of 'ZOUNDS' if memory serves -and I have previously shown it doesn't necessarily so- from Heritage Perennials. While I may have the variety wrong, the grower/supplier is correct. I saw examples of HVX from the same supplier in the same nursery last year and when the owner talked to her supplier rep about it at the time she was told what she was seeing was cold weather damage! BULL! I'm not buying ANY Hosta with the blue Heritage Perennials label, thank you very much, until such time as I see evidence of them acknowledging there is an issue and are taking steps to remedy it.

I have also seen HVX in Hostas with the green bordered picture labels, don't know who that supplier is. Hand written tags may well be from a small local grower, OR could be examples of Hostas that were re-labelled by the nursery when they discovered the label supplied from the grower did not reflect the contents of the container.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

There are several Canadians on the hostsa forum.. go talk to them, they love to meet new hosta friends

Hand written tags can mean anything from hiden, to the nursety got one tag for 20 hostás - to this is an eye cut of a bigger hosta,, but if you find a special colored tag and several times combine it with HVX... you know, you have to take care
Good luck

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply