Newb needs HVX ID, please

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

pmblonestarlady

Newb needs HVX ID, please

Post by pmblonestarlady »

Okay, I'm new at hostas and not feeling too confident about trying to ID HVX myself. Can anyone help with these photos? I do not know the cultivar, but I have 3 of these growing together. Got them late last summer from a reputable nursery in the bargain bin (hostas don't do too well here by the end of our roasting summers). All look healthy this year--multiple eyes, nice size, budded out already. BUT they are supposed to have cream margins.

Photo 1 is the top of the leaf; photo 2 is the underside.
Attachments
hosta2Back.jpg
hosta1.jpg
hosta1.jpg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi! Where are you located? How long have these been up? I am not an expert, especially not knowing the variety, but sometimes cream can start out green or gold then turn as they mature thru the spring and summer. Some others from the forum will likely come to your rescue with good answers! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
pmblonestarlady

Hi, Charla. Thanks--that's useful info to have!

And you are right; they've only been up about a month. Surprised me... I wasn't sure if they'd live or not. They were pretty crispy when I planted them last fall. But they came up early (everything came up really early this year) and are already budded.

I do have a tag, by the way, if it helps. Looks like these three (the ones I scanned) are Francee.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hello, and welcome!!!

Can you put where you are from in your profile? It will help us help you.....Thank-You! :wink:

I have Francee and I am not sure that is what you have.....I hope Chris will see this to help you....

Good Luck and again, Welcome!! :D
Attachments
The hosta's all around the tree are Francee.....:-)
The hosta's all around the tree are Francee.....:-)
pmblonestarlady

Oh, my goodness, Lucy, what a gorgeous hosta garden!

I live in the Dallas, Texas area. Pretty hot here for most hostas. They do well in the spring, suffer during summer, and bounce back a little in the fall. Some people do really well with them, though.

I suspect you are right, and that the Francee tag belongs to a newer plant. Any help with these would be very appreciated!
Attachments
No idea what this one is.  Much slower-growing and later to emerge.  Large, fragrant white flower in mid-summer.
No idea what this one is. Much slower-growing and later to emerge. Large, fragrant white flower in mid-summer.
variety3.jpg (37.49 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
This must be Francee.
This must be Francee.
variety2.jpg (41.26 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
These are the ones for which I submitted a leaf sample.
These are the ones for which I submitted a leaf sample.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Do not look like HVX to mee, but keep it insulated from other hastas, and clean tools if you cut or break something, it can be difficult to see on young hostas

It look like Francee

Glory for the yellow.. do not know it is a very young plant and everything can change... go ask in the hosta forum :wink:

Have you tried the fragrant ones ? they do better in sun and a new blue one mamed Pewterwater is told to be blue in the south.. do not know where in the south :wink:

Welcome

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thank-You!

My MIL lives in Texas and loves hosta's, too.....I think she keeps them in pots.....she has health issues, so it is easier for her....

I dug a few out of that end of the bed this weekend....seedlings and doubles....

I can't help on ID'ing yours....sorry!

Good Luck!! :D
pmblonestarlady

Hmmm. Okay, I found a tag for these. They are H. undulata 'Alba Marginata'. Don't know much about them, but they are growing fast, blooming, and apparently happy. Maybe they are okay.

I'm not thrilled with the Francee liner. Don't know about HVX, but there's something going on that doesn't look right.

I also have a small or mini that I divided at my dad's house. I don't know where he got it. It's very vigorous with lots of eyes, and just as cute as it can be. But now that I have a division here, I'm suspicious. Again, no tag, so not sure what to compare it to.

LOL. I hope that I STAY this unfamiliar with HVX! I'll try to get some pictures of his more mature plant. Thanks so much for all the help here.
New Topic Post Reply