HVX on Blue Cadet?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

I_Dig_it

HVX on Blue Cadet?

Post by I_Dig_it »

This is my Blue Cadet and it might be hard to see in the pic, but the leaves are very mottled and have darker green bleeding between the veins. At first I tought it was just the way the leaves were getting their blue coloring, but now I don't think so.

What do you think?

Janet
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Is this a recent purchase? I've certainly seen badly infected Blue Cadets in the trade (like at Home Depot last year); this one looks like it's got it. Or it could be some cold damage if this plant got some exposure after it leafed out. But more likely HVX, IMO.

If you really want the plant and can't find a clean source, I could send you some (for postage cost). It grows like a weed.
I_Dig_it

Post by I_Dig_it »

I purchased this last year, at a retail store. It was a tiny one eyed plant that didn't grow one new leaf all last season.

I potted it up about mid season and was happy to see it come up this year with 6 eyes. It was up when we had the cold snap, but I was moving it in and out of the garage, so I don't think it suffered too much from the cold.

I really appreciate the offer Tigger, but it's not that important of a plant to me and I'm sure I could find one if I ever want to replace it.

So should I wait to see if the virus progresses or just toss the plant now?

Janet
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I'd at least wait for a second opinion :)

Welcome, by the way!

David
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Janet!

The speckles sure look suspicious except that HVX usually runs along the veins rather than in between. I recently received an all green hosta by mail, and the ends of the leaves kind of did that after a few days from bruising from shipping. I am inclined to think it was from the cold, but am not an expert on HVX. I am sure you will hear from some others on the forum.

Welcome! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Looks like HVX to me.. cut off one of the most spotted leaves. Look at it against the sun or a strong lamp.. if it have a zig zag line´along the veins.. you are sure it is HVX.. if not, keep it away from other hostas in the next year or soo and look at it once more... remember the clean your fingers and sissor

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That looks like HVX to me too.

When comparing coloration between veins vs. along veins, first ask youself, what is the normal color of the hosta supposed to look like? In this case it is supposed to be blue green. Where is the blue green? Between the veins. Where is the odd/wrong color? Along the veins. So in this case the discoloration that is different from normal is occuring along the veins and the normal color is between. That's HVX.

If you have a green hosta that has normal green along the veins and lighter between the veins that is common of cold weather growth or nutrient problems. The wrong color is between the veins, not along the veins, and it should color up correctly later.

Hope that helps to clarify a little :)

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I have a BC right now sitting in water that I dug yesterday because I have 2 of them. You are more than welcome to some eyes! 8-)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Chris_W wrote:That looks like HVX to me too.

When comparing coloration between veins vs. along veins, first ask youself, what is the normal color of the hosta supposed to look like? In this case it is supposed to be blue green. Where is the blue green? Between the veins. Where is the odd/wrong color? Along the veins. So in this case the discoloration that is different from normal is occuring along the veins and the normal color is between. That's HVX.

If you have a green hosta that has normal green along the veins and lighter between the veins that is common of cold weather growth or nutrient problems. The wrong color is between the veins, not along the veins, and it should color up correctly later.

Hope that helps to clarify a little :)

Chris
Ohhh, I was looking at it backwards! :eek: 2 of my BC's are in more sun and tend more toward the green than the blue, so I was thinking the spots were between the veins, but after reading Chris' post I see that the veins are lighter than they should be. I also have a Blue Cadet I would share if you would like it. It is one of my favorites and is very vigorous grower. :D
Last edited by eastwood2007 on Apr 23, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ademink

Post by ademink »

Janet, go for it, girl! :lol: My BC is a gorgeous plant and you will be glad that you have it when it gets large. Plus, you will know that it was a gift and that makes it extra special. :wink:
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
I_Dig_it

Post by I_Dig_it »

Thanks everyone for the advice and most of all for the offers to share your BCs. :D
I wasn't expecting that at all and since I am somewhat of a newbie here, feel a bit shy about accepting plants when I have nothing to offer in return.
I really appreciate all your kind offers and most of all the help determining that it is most likely an infected plant.

Janet
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh we know that wasn't your intent......I love sharing....Shoot me your address in a pm, and I will get one off to you this Thursday when I am off work.... :P
New Topic Post Reply