What about the backs?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Kas

What about the backs?

Post by Kas »

I have a question about a green leaf ('Mildred Seaver') with weird bumples and a shiny color instead of the slight wax it should have. Is this a sign of HVX? The backs of the leaves were shiny and white along the same veins, sometimes crossing over to the next one. We only show the tops, so I don't know what to look for on the backs.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Zig Zag lines when held against light is the only thing I know :-?
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

What you describe is frost damage. Sometimes there are air bubbles on the backside. When the eyes were poking up it got too cold and damaged the back of the leaves.

HVX is inside the tissue, so the discoloration runs through the entire leaves. Cold damage is on the surface or the back if they were frosted as points before they unfurled.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Hmmm. I still won't buy it, though. Too suspicious looking and I'm not into taking chances on something like this. Too many hundreds of dollars invested here. Thanks, Chris!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
New Topic Post Reply