Chris, please look at my "strange ventricosa" thre

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

largosmom

Chris, please look at my "strange ventricosa" thre

Post by largosmom »

I have a strange-looking green hosta (thought it was ventricosa, but others think not). I posted pics in the other thread and would like your opinion.

This one predates the 'August Moon' that I had that was infected by at least a year, I think two. It is possible that the virus was passed via tools to others of the hostas I had at the time and I have another couple that look suspicious this year that I just discovered this evening. One is another of these greens that I got at the same time, or which is a division of this one. It also has a streaky leaf, but I don't see the extra veins on it and it did not have these markings last year. The third suspicious hosta is a small blue-leafed one, possibly blue cadet, that was one of the first hostas I bought, probably 5 years ago. It's raining or I'd have pics.

Laura
Kas

Post by Kas »

Laura,

Those leaves look exactly like what I was seeing on the 'Mildred Seaver'. I posted it under the heading "What about the backs?". Hopefully Chris will see it and give us an opinion. He gave me one on my description, but the pics tell the story so much better. It is really hard to describe something like that.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Laura,

I don't know what causes those overlapping veins. I've seen it before and I've seen the same hostas grow out of it, and I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Obviously be watchful, but still take time to enjoy them too :)

Chris
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Glad to know it isn't all that unusual. The extra veins, as opposed to the "flip flopped" tissue, are sort of interesting. Some look like they will be lighter in color, so we'll see how it goes. I have two clumps and the second one has a streaky leaf, but I haven't seen this tissue and vein stuff going on with it yet.

I'll leave it alone, though it may go into a container in the next couple of weeks to try and keep the voles out of it. It is one of my largest hostas right now.

Laura
New Topic Post Reply