Are my Hostas infected with the HVX, Chris ?????

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Nicholashong

Are my Hostas infected with the HVX, Chris ?????

Post by Nicholashong »

Dear Chris, I am so glad to have found this site. I have a few questionable pics of some hosta cultivars to isolate the dreaded HVX. Thanks
Attachments
This is the Liberty which has bumps on leaf
This is the Liberty which has bumps on leaf
This is the Sum & Substance upper side
This is the Sum & Substance upper side
This is the same Sum & Substance lower side
This is the same Sum & Substance lower side
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

These really don't look like HVX.

The Liberty looks like the leaf simply emerged from an eye that was cold damaged over the winter. This is pretty common with potted hostas that are overwintered. I would repot it in fresh soil or plant it in the ground and the new leaves should be fine.

The Sum and Substance looks strange, but again, it looks like some kind of external damage rather than virus symptoms. I really don't know what caused that, but HVX would be green stripes along the veins and/or green spotting. In other varieties you can see strange leaf distortion from HVX, but I've never seen that on Sum and Substance. That doesn't mean it isn't a different virus though...

Like the Liberty this could just be some kind of cold damage, but I'm not completely sure. Watch the newer leaves as they come out. If the second flush of foliage or any newer leaves show something like this I would be concerned.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Nicholashong

What prompt reponse and thanks, Chris

Post by Nicholashong »

Dear Chris, Thanks for the lightening fast response. I will follow up on the second flush of leaves. We had some cold snaps in NJ recently. :)
New Topic Post Reply