Streaked or virused?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Rocco

Streaked or virused?

Post by Rocco »

I have a friend named Harry,aka Harry the Horse,he owns a few greenhouses and grows a variety of plants to sell each year.Since 2004 he uses one of his houses to grow Hosta and Daylily,about 40 + variety of Hosta,and I would guess about the same amount of Daylily.I visit early every spring and buy some plants,they are inexpensive (every plant, Hosta, or Daylily is the same price), they look healthy,and are good sized plants.In the fall he shows me the list of the available plants he can order and I check off the ones I think he should get,.....(it works for me).
This spring I bought 13 plants,I'll mention a few,'H. Holey Moley','H.Eskimo Pie','H. Spilt Milk'.etc,and 'H. Abiqua Drinking Gourd',this plant is the primary purpose for this post.I have to determine if it is virused,I don't want a sick Hosta in my garden,if it is a streaked sport I'll be happy,but I have to know positively.How do I find this out? Must I have it tested,or can I isolate it and see if it developes other signs?
Thank you, Rocco.
Attachments
Hosta  sport perhaps 007.jpg
Hosta  sport perhaps 002.jpg
"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth,and no culture comparable as that of the garden" (Thomas Jefferson) 1811
ademink

Post by ademink »

I'm not the resident expert but that definitely looks like a sport to me! :o Nice!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Rocco, it IS VIRUSED :) and I recommend you send it to me, IMMEDIATELY . PM me for my mailing address, puhleaze...

Nah, you got yerself a streaker pal.....congrats...
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

That is streaking, not virus. Cool sport :)

Chris
New Topic Post Reply