Re: the Hosta Virus X

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

finchlady

Re: the Hosta Virus X

Post by finchlady »

Wow.... I've been away way too long! Hi everybody. My question is ... if you've not purchased "outside" hostas in a couple of years, can the hostas I have and have had several years come down with this??? I have a few with not real great looking leaves, but we've had such chilly weather this spring was thinking it was more from that.
Thanks,
Kate
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Kate,

HVX has been around for almost 20 years, but didn't start making the rounds in large numbers until around 2003 and it has ramped up since then.

You might want to check out the "epidemic" topic. I believe that is where I list plants that have come on the market where batches were infected quite a bit. If you have some of those that have been purchased since 2003 take a closer look at them.

I was at the grocery store today and they had hostas out front for sale along with their annuals - Sum and Substance, Stiletto, and Honeybells - three of the more commonly infected plants. The S & S and Stiletto looked okay, but the Honeybells, which catch HVX easily and show symptoms quickly (in weeks) were horribly infected. Since the Honeybells were infected I would bet money on all of those plants carrying HVX, especially considering S & S and Stiletto may not show symptoms until next year or the following year if they were recently infected.

I bought Gypsy Rose this spring and they are infected. I have a Phantom that came from another nursery 2 summers ago that I wanted as a display plant and it is infected. Because of things like this we test samples from every new batch we get in from Holland and test every clump we have in the growing area before they get propagated. After that we randomly sample plants in the nursery, just to continue monitoring things.

HVX is around to stay for good, I'm afraid. I don't ever see it going away at this point since it is in way too many gardens and way too many nurseries :(
mooie

Post by mooie »

I stopped at a little local greenhouse over the last weekend, much more known for it's annuals than perennials, but they did have some common perennials and a few hostas. Naturally I veered off to check out what they had, and sitting there was the worse case of HVX on a Paul's Glory I've yet to see on a one eyed plant! :eek: And let's not mention the plant they had labeled as Sum and Substance was obviously Winfield Blue!! I attempted to talk to the owners wife about it but she definitely blew me off and told me the state inspector had just been there and said all was well. Gads... Like they know anything! I was pretty much treated as tho I was a peon in the growing world and didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. I just kept wondering how many others were sold from that small place that have now infected how many gardens. Any other place that I've shopped and reported HVX to the grower, has been met with respect and thanks and the plants were pulled. Those are the places I will continue to shop because they care about what they are putting out there and want to learn, even if it's not good news. I'm still not above sending a letter down to the owner with HVX info, and bypass his snotty wife. And while I'm at it, I will mention the inspector also missed the hoophouse full of aphids... :D :lol:

mooie
~Imagine~
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Go get 'em, Mooie! :o
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
finchlady

Thanks Chris and Mooie!

Post by finchlady »

You go get 'em Mooie!!! :D I've had the same response from sellers when you show them that hostas a just mislabeled.... much less having an infectious disease!!!
Anyway.... am on my way out to the garden now to really do some critical inspecting!!!!
... have a hosta-happy day everyone! :cool:
New Topic Post Reply