Hoping it is just a pretty plant ...

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

hosta novice

Hoping it is just a pretty plant ...

Post by hosta novice »

Hello, I am new to this issue but am going to attempt to wade in. I have 30+ hostas in my yard but I don't know what varieties they are, so I don't know what they should look like. All were on my property when I moved in (1/2002) or are divisions from my other plants and the previous owners left no record of what they planted. Several friends want divisions from my hostas but I am afraid to give any out since some seem to have what appear to be minor problems. I am hoping that they do turn out to be MINOR but am hoping that the collective wisdom of this group will be able to determine that.
First one up is what I think is just an attractively colored plant, but from what I have read some attractive leaves are not what they seem ...
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Questionable.jpg
Questionable.jpg (35.94 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I'm not sure what the problem might be? From what I can see your hosta looks fine. Do you mean the lighter color between the margin and center? That's perfectly normal.

If you've had these plants for a long time (or they were there a long time) chances are they are fine. But clean your hands and tools regularly when working in the garden as a good gardening practice.

If I'm missing something please let us know.

Chris
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Looks like a very healthy undulata to me too. I love that 3rd color that is between the bright white and the dark green.

Enjoy them and I don't think there is a problem sharing them at all :D

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

If you want to try to identify some of your hostas, check out the "What Hosta do I have?" entry at the Hosta FAQ.

This one is certainly a healthy 'Undulata.'
hosta novice

Post by hosta novice »

Thank you for info, I had not seen that page yet. All of my others are green, green/white, green/yellow, or greenish blue. This was the only one with three colors.
New Topic Post Reply