Split edges

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

hosta novice

Split edges

Post by hosta novice »

Please forgive my relative ignorance on this topic, but some other websites have shown almost anything as a virus symptom, making me paranoid. Several of my plants are splitting at the edge of the leaves. Is this something I need to worry about, or can I just remove the damaged leaves?This is an example from one of the bluish hostas.
Attachments
Bluish1.jpg
Bluish1.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

that was from an eye that got freeze/frost damage. If it is unfurling okay on its own there really isn't any need to touch it. If you really think it is unsightly then you could trim it off. Remember to wash your hands and tools, that's all.
hosta novice

Post by hosta novice »

Thanks so much for easing my anxiety. Ususally I divide some of mine each spring but haven't given any away this year because I have been too paranoid. I'll just make sure I clean things from now on.
impatience

Post by impatience »

You divide each spring? :eek: To me they grow slow enough as it is.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
hosta novice

Post by hosta novice »

I don't divide every plant each spring, just some of them each year. The solid greens grow so fast they crowd the others. They were planted too close together initially (before I moved in).
New Topic Post Reply