Is this HVX on this "variegated" Kiwi Forest?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

tehegemon

Is this HVX on this "variegated" Kiwi Forest?

Post by tehegemon »

Hello,

I'm new to hostas and the forums here, and was perusing hosta photos online when I came across these images:
http://www.lihosta.com/images/variegate ... forest.jpg
http://www.lihosta.com/images/variegate ... rest_2.jpg

Is this HVX?

I hope it's OK that I posted these links to another web site. If not, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help in educating me about this virus!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

First, let me mention that Kiwi Forest has a uniquely mottled pattern that is NOT a virus. I've had them repeatedly tested and no virus were present. But this one is different from a normal Kiwi Forest. If it isn't HVX then it is some other kind of virus. The pattern is uneven and blotchy and the "variegation" only follows the veins.

Also, look in the lower right corner of the picture. The hosta behind it looks like it might be showing some virus symptoms too!

I've seen some other Kiwi hostas that were badly infected with some kind of virus and in a couple the pictures looked like HVX PLUS another kind of virus that has been found in hostas but not yet identified :???:

I would steer away from this one :wow:

Chris
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Chris, what is this about another kind of virus found in hostas, but not yet identified? :eek:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
tehegemon

Post by tehegemon »

Chris,

Thank you for your prompt reply to my inquiry!

Wow, I completely overlooked the hosta in the background until you pointed it out ~ thank you!

I am new to hostas and have been viewing photos online to discover the range of their sizes, colors, textures, and shapes. I'm unfamiliar with these mottled hostas, and truth be told ~ I find them to be more of a novel curiosity than anything I would purchase to plant in my garden (no offense intended to anyone who can better appreciate their distinctive aesthetic).

I have viewed photos online of HVX and have also seen it first-hand at our garden centers of the local big-box home improvement chains, but have never seen anything quite like this ~ which is why I inquired.

Again, thank you Chris ~ for this forum dedicated to the discussion of HVX and also for your other forums ~ I am learning a lot here!!
ademink

Post by ademink »

Here is the technical mumbo-jumbo... :lol:

Tomato ringspot nepovirus, impatiens necrotic spot tospovirus and a tobravirus were identified in hostas in the USA. Three unidentified isometric viruses were also found in hostas. Hosta virus X, a previously undescribed potexvirus, was the most frequently occurring virus in hostas, whose response to infection by this virus varied from immunity to severe mosaic and leaf desiccation. Tomato ringspot virus infection in hostas was associated with leaf mottling and chlorosis. Impatiens necrotic spot virus caused primary foliar lesions followed by latent infection. The tobravirus occurring in hosta was related serologically to both pea early-browning and tobacco rattle viruses, but was unusual in not being transmitted by mechanical inoculation to Nicotiana benthamiana or to N. clevelandii. Three unidentified isometric viruses, detected by electron microscopy and ds RNA analysis, were found in hostas with chlorotic ringspots, veinal necrosis and interveinal chlorosis.
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

ademink wrote:Here is the technical mumbo-jumbo... :lol:

Tomato ringspot nepovirus, impatiens necrotic spot tospovirus and a tobravirus were identified in hostas in the USA. Three unidentified isometric viruses were also found in hostas. Hosta virus X, a previously undescribed potexvirus, was the most frequently occurring virus in hostas, whose response to infection by this virus varied from immunity to severe mosaic and leaf desiccation. Tomato ringspot virus infection in hostas was associated with leaf mottling and chlorosis. Impatiens necrotic spot virus caused primary foliar lesions followed by latent infection. The tobravirus occurring in hosta was related serologically to both pea early-browning and tobacco rattle viruses, but was unusual in not being transmitted by mechanical inoculation to Nicotiana benthamiana or to N. clevelandii. Three unidentified isometric viruses, detected by electron microscopy and ds RNA analysis, were found in hostas with chlorotic ringspots, veinal necrosis and interveinal chlorosis.
Soooo, are you saying I have it or don't have it?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: (English, please.... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Sorry, been reading Reldon's post and I guess orneryness is contagious!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ademink

Post by ademink »

LOL! :lol: Chris is saying that yes, it appears that Kiwi has it and it appears the plant behind it does too.

I was answering the question about what other viruses there are. hehe :P
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply