HVX on Blue Cadet and Grand Tiara?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

gardengal101

HVX on Blue Cadet and Grand Tiara?

Post by gardengal101 »

Last year I did some splitting of my Blue Cadet, Grand Tiara, common green and Royal Standard hostas. I did not clean any of my tools because of course this is before I knew about HVX. The Blue Cadet and Royal Standard were purchased from a local nursey about 3 years ago, I have never had a problem with either one. Grand Tiara came from my mother-in-law and it must be at least 5 years old. Last year after I split the Grand Tiara I noticed that one clump, out of 19 clumps total, looked wilty, but I thought it was getting to much sun. Now this spring, 3 of the clumps came up looking awful and 2 clumps out of 10 of the Blue Cadet look similar. Could someone take a look at these photos and tell me what you think. :(

Thanks,
Gardengal101

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi GardenGal,

Yes, I am sorry to report that this is Hosta Virus X. The tiaras (this looks a little more like Golden Tiara) and Blue Cadet can catch it easily and as you saw, the tiaras can show it quickly after infection. I'm surprised you haven't seen anything on Royal Standard or the other one. Royal Standard will develop translucent patches along the veins that you will be able to see if you hold up a leaf to the light.

This is a great lesson about the importance of cleaning and disinfecting tools. If it was me I would throw away all of the plants involved and start over with new ones. I know that is hard to do, but it is the safest and in the long run may be the easiest. Otherwise you will always be wondering if the others are infected and just not showing, which will always be bothersome. :(

Sorry :(

Chris
gardengal101

Post by gardengal101 »

Sorry for the delay in thanking you Chris, your reply is greatly appreciated!! Now after a few tears and a small family vacation I am ready to conquer my mess. This has been a hard lesson, but a lesson well learned. Clean, clean, clean your tools and don't forget to buy quality hosta!!
New Topic Post Reply