My turn to have the virus?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

django

My turn to have the virus?

Post by django »

Last year, Time Tunnel never seemed to be as "perky" as my other hostas. Had some leaf damage, and I assumed I had stepped on it when it was emerging in the spring, and never thought anything of it. Decided to move it to a new location.

This year, the plant has definite leaf damage, and the family promises that the dog didn't urinate on it. Always one of my concerns.

So - what do you think? Is it my turn for the virus?
Attachments
Hosta 1.JPG
P5270056.JPG
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Looks like cold damage or leaf dessication...not HVX. This isn't one of those things we want to take turns with... :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

No, that is not HVX. That is spring desiccation burn.

I have to assume that this plant is a gold edged sieboldiana. Pretty common for the gold tissue to dry out and get like this in cold (less than 40 degree) weather.
django

It's not my turn to have the virus!

Post by django »

Thank you for the good news. I'll take leaf dessication over the virus. Next spring, I'll try to give that hosta extra protection if it's prone to this problem. We did have a few cold snaps this year while plants were emerging - affected the buds on one of the hydrangeas, too. No other hostas were affected, though.

I enjoy these forums and am glad that I found them. Great information is shared. Thanks.

Elaine
New Topic Post Reply