Suspicious looking leaves

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Suspicious looking leaves

Post by Patrushka »

I hope I'm just being overly cautious. Could this be frost damage on Summer Fragrance? What do you think?

Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Pat,

Sorry, but not this time. That's HVX :(

Time for the dumpster :???:

Chris
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks Chris. :D I was afraid you would say that.

It is in a holding bed planted very close to two other hostas. Do you have any suggestions for removing it without infecting the others?
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Dang.... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Sorry it's infected, Pat. :( I would use something forked to try and remove it , so there is less chance of cutting through it's roots and into another hosta's roots. Or just dig down very, very carefully to get it out. You might have to untangle some roots by hand. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Question: In a situation like that where they are close to another, would it help reduce the chance of infection if it was sprayed with Roundup first, and removed after it was good and dead? :-?

I am watching a few of mine that aren't showing symptoms but were acquired from questionable sources before I knew about HVX. I would have the same situation...
Charla
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Would it work better/be easier to remove the 2 non-infected hostas 1st & then remove the bad one??

I'm thinking if they are on the outside & it's on the inside/between them.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks Joan, Charla and Reldon. These are all methods that I've considered. I didn't think of Roundup, my idea was to wrap it in a black garbage bag.

I had my guys dig a wide trench last fall so I could put my potted hostas in the ground. I put them in two rows of five hostas each. The infected hosta is on the end of the front row. I think all of these methods would work. This is my first experience with HVX in my own garden and I'm just AFRAID of breaking roots and transferring the virus. One of the hostas next to SF is my second Dawn's Early Light. My first DEL died overwintering in a pot.

If I use Roundup, I could leave the two neighbors where they are until I'm sure it's safe and just move the rest to their permanent homes.

Sorry to go on and on. :???: Thanks so much for helping me figure out how to go about this. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Maybe someone else will give their ideas...the thing I was thinking about Roundup is that it kills all the way thru the roots...so it claims, anyway. A black bag may only kill the top foliage...? :roll:
Charla
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Charla, I have Roundup. :lol: I don't know why I didn't think of it. :roll: I'm glad that you did. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I tried the roundup idea and used triple strength and added two other herbicides to the mix. It appeared to kill the hosta only to have it emerge again the following year... So it sounds good, but all it did was topkill the hosta and didn't get completely down into the crown. :???:
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks Chris. :D I was planning on watching it and reapplying if necessary. I was wondering how long I should wait to see if it reemerged. Thanks for saving me from a fruitless effort. Did you post about trying Roundup some time in the past? I had this memory floating around that someone had tried it and it didn't work. I'll bet it was you. I guess I'll just dig it up very, very carefully.
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Pat - just start digging well outside of where you think the roots will be by about a foot. Then move in a little closer & go down fairly deep & angle up under the plant slightly & lift up with your spade. Do this from 2 other sides if you can. You'll probly be able to lift it out of the ground then. Just grip it firmly at the base & see what happens. If it doesn't act like it will release, then dig under each spot again. Good Luck!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
sugar

Post by sugar »

I have been thinking about it some time ago... If I ever find a HVX-ed hosta in my bed, I will burn it out of the ground using a bunsen burner
ademink

Post by ademink »

That bunsen burner comment was so unexpected, I literally just burst out laughing!!! :lol:
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply