Another garden center with lots of HVX....

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

eastwood2007

Another garden center with lots of HVX....

Post by eastwood2007 »

Went to another garden center yesterday. They had Gold Standard, S&S, Albomarginata?, and two others I can't remember with HVX. Not just a little showing, but all the plants were heavily involved already.

This is a place I shop for perennials all the time, and so many of the employees know me. I found one that is a manager of sorts (last year I was never able to get to a manager there!), and told her what I had discovered. I tried to express that the only reason I made such an effort to bring it to her attention was because I really like to shop there, and they have always done a good job. She just seemed very annoyed. I have brought HVX to the attention of several dept. managers over the last two years, and emailed the main office last year. They act initially like they are concerned, but they don't ever follow thru. I don't get it!

I have not had time to get out to the other nursery where I had seen so much HVX earlier. It is so disheartening! I really need to step up my "pestering" I guess, but it is so hard to find the time.

(Here's me feeling blue...)

It is really hard to look at this inventory in these garden centers, knowing that it is going to unsuspecting gardeners and likely infecting every hosta they already have...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

How disheartening. :( I'd think about reporting them to the Dept. of Agriculture or what other dept. might handle things like this.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

newtohosta-no more wrote:How disheartening. :( I'd think about reporting them to the Dept. of Agriculture or what other dept. might handle things like this.
I must say that although it goes completely against my nature, I am really considering that. Since all the other garden centers in this area are exhibiting the same thing, I guess at least, I wouldn't be picking on anyone if I named all of them. It really does bother me to do that, though. Maybe only solution... :cry:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Liselotte

virus X

Post by Liselotte »

Charla, perhaps no one at the dept of Agriculture is even aware of HVX and you would do them a service!

I have been bringing back plants from the US every year since1990 (not since 2004). In late fall of 2004, like every year, an inspector from the Illinois Dept. of Agriculture came to my son's house to inspect the plants I was taking back to Europe. This time it was just Hosts TCs from Q& Z.
They were bare root and washed. They looked perfect, but still he could have checked better, no hand lense to look for insects or disease. I asked if he was seeing a lot of HVX on the job. Well, he never heard of it and I had to explain. He seemed interested enough and said he would inform the Dept. and look into it.
New Topic Post Reply