HVX in my garden....ugggh!

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

eastwood2007

HVX in my garden....ugggh!

Post by eastwood2007 »

I had a Gold Standard that I had really been keeping an eye on, just because of its reputation....I saw spots today. To the burn pile it went!

It wasn't really close to anything else. The biggest problemn is that is the bed that the dogs tear thru all the time, and after GS started coming back after the freeze, something whacked it and scattered leaves on the ground! :eek: My biggest concern is the S&S that is about 2 feet away in the path of where the leaf material would be spewed if the dogs raced thru the bed after squirrels. S&S takes so long to show any symptoms! There is an Old Glory about 2 1/2 feet to the other side that was showing some strange coloration, but I think it is just it changing from green to gold.

Depressing! :evil:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I hope the GS was the only one for you, Charla. I don't know that just knocking leaves off near another plant would actually be enough to cause a transfer of the virus. Keep watching, but I wouldn't stress out about it.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Didn't I read something about varmints possible spreading this by chewing the leaves of one plant and then another, thereby spreading to the other? Wouldn't it hold that transference could happen by a dog foot trampsing one and then other with infected material still on his foot from the first?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

wishiwere wrote:Didn't I read something about varmints possible spreading this by chewing the leaves of one plant and then another, thereby spreading to the other? Wouldn't it hold that transference could happen by a dog foot trampsing one and then other with infected material still on his foot from the first?
I think that would probably be right, but the dogs blast thru so fast that I doubt there would be enough sap deposited to do any damage, but I have had cutworms and moles in this bed. I think I am more concerned about that... :cry:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

HVX sread from a fresh wound to an other...

Sorry you had to dig it out :cry:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply